forty-four

Jungkook awoke to the faint sound of an alarm sounding from underneath his bed. Why it was underneath his bed, he wasn't quite sure. Maybe he had accidentally knocked it off his dresser in the middle of his sleep. He pulled the alarm clock's plug and threw off his covers, at the same time shifting his tired gaze over to the calendar on his wall. June 14th. He circled the date in red marker, as he could occasionally be a forgetful person.

He was supposed to go to the beach today as well as a festival. Taehyung would be there--five other people, too, but Taehyung was the only one on his mind. Well, and Seokjin, because he was still a little shocked the idol would be accompanying them.

They had all agreed to meet at the beach at around three in the afternoon. It was only nine in the morning now, but Jungkook still felt the need to get completely ready anyway, because this time, he wanted to be the first person to arrive and not the last. So he picked out a short sleeved shirt and a pair of shorts, then ate a quick breakfast and played video games until two o'clock.

That was when he decided to text his friends.

Jungkook:
ey namjoon when u leav

Namjoon:
not yet lmao im watching the simpsons rn

Namjoon:
ill probably try 2 leav at around 2:30, gotta check on yoongs soon and make sure hes ready

Jungkook:
aight cu there dude

Namjoon: yeet

***

Jungkook:
ey jimin wehn u leav

Jimmie:
as soon as tae gets ready he just woke up like ten minutes ago apparently

Jungkook:
lmao its 2

Jimmie:
ik, i think he didnt get a lotta sleep or smth

Jungkook:
aight well ill cu guys there

Jimmie: yup, cu there jungkook :)

***

Jungkook:
hey yoongi u wanna see a meme

Jungkook:
this one's really funny i swear

Yoongi:
thanks but i'll pass

Jungkook:
lmaooooo ok then guess i'll cu at the beach

Yoongi:
yeah yeah

Conveniently, Jungkook's sister Jiyeul didn't work today, so she was able to help transport both her brother, the volleyball, and the volleyball net--currently in three separate pieces--to the beach, which obviously saved Jungkook a lot of time and effort. He arrived before anyone else. Barely, though. Approximately three minutes after Jiyeul dropped him off, who should come running up to him but Jimin, as well as Taehyung, who followed close behind but cared not enough to run like his friend.

"Been here long?" Jimin asked. His eyes fell on the volleyball, poles, and net Jungkook held tightly in his arms. "I'm assuming you'll need help setting that up."

"Yeah, maybe a little." He looked down at the net as well, then slowly, shyly, lifted his gaze till it rested on Taehyung's face. The brown-haired boy's attention was directed elsewhere--where, Jungkook didn't know. But he felt bold enough to steal Tae's attention by uttering a soft, "Hey, Taehyung."

"Hm? Oh." He shook his head as if to dismiss whatever had been on his mind. "Hey, Jungkook. I can help, too, if you need it. I mean, I've never set up a volleyball net before but I'm sure I could figure it out. Maybe. Actually, probably not."