Happy(?) New Year

"Y/N, Y/N, Y/N!!!! WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UPPPPP!"

You're rudely awakened by the familiar ear piercing screech you know all too well.

"Hana, could you please be a little more quiet..." you mumble half asleep, rolling onto your back to stretch out your body. You open one eye slightly, it still being too early in the day to greet the world.

"I'm sorry but I can't help it, it's finally happening today!!!! IT'S FINALLY HAPPENING TODAY!"

Ouch, your ears.

"Hana, please," you raise your voice, sitting up and rubbing your eyes. This time you open both eyes and are greeted with your over-enthusiastic friend dancing around in your dorm. It causes a laugh to rise out of you and you look around, realizing the unusual emptiness in the room. "Where's Hyoyeon?"

Your small, petite friend halts her little celebration for a moment to answer your question. She gives you a sly smile and a cheeky wink. "It's a surprise."

Oh no.

You slide off of your warm bed, cruelly greeted by the sudden, harsh air conditioned room. You shiver and feel goosebumps form in your semi-bare arms, and you feel the sudden urge to stick your feet into a fire due to the gradual loss of feeling in your toes. You decide to keep your mouth shut, because you wouldn't dare ruin Hana's mood, especially on the most exciting day of her entire life.

Even if, for you, this is the worst day of your entire life.

"Uh, Hyoyeon, are you sure I should wear this? Isn't it a bit... too revealing?" You stand in front of the tall mirror hung on the bathroom door, staring are you disappointing figure reflected back at the mirror.

Hyoyeon had secretly gone out in the morning to shop for a dress for you, because both she and Hana knew that you would've shown up to the ceremony in jeans and a blouse.

The magenta fabric cascades down to the floor, but all you can focus on is the top half of your body. You study the mesh that climbs up to where your neck and shoulders connect, the revealing cut of the fabric that actually gives you some coverage quite... lacking. The smallest part of your midriff is exposed, yet you feel the need to cover the mesh with your arms.

"I don't think I have the, um, 'curves' for this. Maybe you should wear it?" You mutter as you turn slightly, studying every part of your lacking figure like you've been doing for the past ten out of the 20 years of your life.

You're about to reach behind you to undo the dress when you feel a cold yet smooth hand snatch your wrist. You watch Hyoyeon take a step forward and rest her chin on your shoulder, and the two of you observe the dress once more.

"Y/N, are you blind? This dress is perfect for you. You don't want to show up to the ceremony in jeans and a blouse, which I know you were planning on doing. Use this opportunity to take revenge on all those catty girls who trashed on you since forever."

You stare at the dress once more, your friend's words swimming through your head. You hesitate for a moment before opening your mouth. "Okay, fine, I'll wear it. But only because I'm that fed up with all those fake ass brats."

"Trust me, Y/N. After tonight, those girls are gonna come begging on their knees to forgive their sorry asses. I promise."

You're quite flustered to say the least. After hours of getting ready for the ceremony, which basically means Hyoyeon and Hana caking you with layers upon layers of makeup (or at least, that's what it felt liketo be quite honest you could barely tell any changes in your face besides smoother skin), the three of you arrived at the banquet hall.

And you've gotten enough stares to last you another lifetime.

The actual ceremony has just begun, and you sit uncomfortably in the stiff chair that had begun to hurt as soon as you sat down. Traditionally, the girls sit in alphabetical order (the boys having to suffer through an entire ceremony of standing), and that has not changed this year, so you have to endure at least an hour of butt pains and sharp glances from the girls sitting within your proximity.

Mom really didn't hit the jackpot, marrying someone with Yang for a last name, although you suppose it's more unfortunate for you than either of your parents.

You occupy yourself by thinking of the boys you would be okay with having to spend your entire life with. Like Namjoon. You definitely wouldn't complain if you had to marry him. There's also Wang Jia Er, an exchange student from Hong Kong. You two met back in middle school, and he's made you laugh ever since. Or Yoon Jeonghan. You hate to admit it, but you've been secretly crushing on that extremely ethereal boy since the first day of high school, when the school was pleasantly surprised with his first appearance (he had moved from a neighboring district, the poor boy. The poor, beautiful boy).

Turns out thinking about Jeonghan makes time pass by in the blink of an eye, because before you know it, you're startled by the sudden sound of your name being called through the echoey speakers.

"Yang Y/N." You stand slowly, feeling the numerous pairs of eyes gluing to your body as you walk up to the front, taking your time to ensure that you don't trip over your extravagant dress. Your knees feel weak as you walk up the steps to stand beside the podium at the center of the warmly lit stage. You feel cold sweat beginning to creep on your back and you fiddle with your shaking hands. You didn't realize how much this moment would actually affect you until you see the announcer open the pink and gold envelope. You close your eyes, taking a deep breath.

The name you hear next nearly makes you pass out.

You truly were born with the worst of luck that could ever be thought imaginable.

"Min Yoongi."

You don't realize you had stopped breathing until you need to consume oxygen in order not to suffocate yourself.

It's clear that every single specimen in the room is as baffled as you, because you open your eyes to see the countless of tiny heads turning to each other. The room quickly fills with the sound of muffled voices until your (unfortunate) future husband stands and walks up to the stage. You turn your head away from your worst enemy as he approaches and stands beside you.

This can't be happening are the only words that swim through your head, and you desperately wish for someone to come and pinch you to provide an escape from this hell dimension you had happened to fall into. But this is real life.

Your throat tightens and you nearly let a tear escape you as Min Yoongi slips the ring onto your finger. And it's definitely not tears of joy.

As the room gradually fills with applause, you lean forward to whisper into your new fiance's ear.

"I will forever be incapable of loving you, Min Yoongi. And nothing will change that."  

[A/N]

chapter three is up this week yayayy

i'm actually quite happy with this story (fourth time's a charm i guess), but it's going pretty slow so far so my apologies;;

also this story will probably be super predictable but the cheesy stuff is the most fun to read right?? (hopefully? maybe?? rip;;;)

~bangtanstaan