Chapter 5 - What the Heck.

Jas and I simply just look at each other and then burst out laughing.

"That guy was so rude!" I whisper-shout as we turn away and begin walking back to my house.

"Yea, but he was kinda' hot! Not my type, though. I like my men dark, dark chocolate. Like burnt toast. Yum."

"Girl, you are absolutely crazy! Come on. Let's get inside and help my mom."

We return to the kitchen where my mom had white rice and gravy with turkey and green beans cooking. She had enough to feed a small army! My mom, Thea, was so cute bustling about the kitchen. It was obvious that she was in here happy place when she cooked for others. It showed on her beautiful brown skin like a glow. Her slim, athletic body easily glided around the large island as she grabbed different kinds of seasonings to season her masterpieces with. Man, could my momma cook!

"Sophia, can you please look in the freezer and grab the yeast rolls? That's the last thing I need to do and the food will be ready soon."

"Yea, momma." I reach into the freezer and grab the gooey balls of heaven. Gosh, yeast rolls are just so good. I line a pan with foil and spray it with nonstick spray then placed eight rolls onto the sheet and stuck them into the preheated oven. They'd be ready in 10 minutes, and I was so excited.

"So, what did they say? Are they coming over?" my mom inquired.

"Yes, I think so. He asked what time to be here, so I think that's a good sign."

"How many are coming?"

"I guess three. I'm not really sure. He didn't let me get that far into the conversation. I guess he was the son, but he slammed the door in our faces," I explain. As if on cue, Jas enters the kitchen and nods her head in agreement.

"He was so rude. I guess his parents forgot to teach him manners," Jas reasons.

"Not everybody was raised like you two. Despite everything, you both know how to treat the people around you. Not everybody is taught how to respect peers and elders. You need to give your mommas a big hug for teaching you right," my mom winks at me. I laugh as I pull her into a hug as Jas just laughs at us. "Go set the table. They should be arriving pretty soon. It's already 4:50."

Jas and I grab napkins, plates, and utensils and head to the dining room to set the table. At first, we begin setting eight places in a comfortable silence, until Jas decides to speak up. "I had just gotten off the phone with Pat before I came into the kitchen," she says quite solemnly.

"What happened?" I question.

"Well, we had a real heart to heart. I apologized over and over again, but I know I hurt her and if I were in her position, I don't think I would forgive me. But she said that she does, so I'm so grateful. I don't know what I would do without you two. We've been through so much and I really don't want to throw that all away because of something stupid I said," she spills out.

"The good thing is that she forgives you, but now you need to forgive yourself. Yeah, what you said was messed up, and although I don't know the exact details, I don't think I need to know them. But you do really need to forgive yourself, which is super hard to do, but you need to. She's let go of this and so should you."

A small tear fell from Jasmine's eye, and by the time it hit the floor, I had engulfed her into a tight hug.

"She said she's coming to dinner."

"I figured. I set a plate for her already," I reply.

Suddenly my dad burst through the garage door with a huge grin on his face and a plethora of plastic grocery bags hanging on his arms. "I've got the drinks!" he yells through the house. My mom pops her head into the dining room from the kitchen.