Sent Away

They were put into Cringon Hospital. This is a high-security, very intense mental health hospital in England. Normally, this hospital is reserved for prisoners and serial killers who have severe mental issues and cannot be controlled in a regular psych ward, but cannot be put into normal prisons for various reasons.

Abigail and Abby continued to engage in strange behavior at the hospital whether they were in the same cell or separated — the staff tried both approaches to help the girls develop some semblance of sanity. Despite anti-psychotic medications and all the efforts of the hospital, the girls seemed unable to change. They ended up staying at Cringon for 14 years straight.

They acted in strange ways even when they weren't anywhere near one another, or when they were. When one twin was starving herself, the other was gorging herself. Even when they didn't know what they were doing. And when they were separated from one another, guards and nurses would often find them frozen into the same positions. Word of the twins' strange behavior began to get out.

One journalist named Mackenzie Willowstein was fascinated with the twins. She began to write about them and read their diaries. She wanted to visit them in person, so she did. At the time, there was no way of knowing how much of an impact the twins would have on her... or how much she would have on them.