Mental Care

The twins refused to be separated. At this point, the Roth family didn't know what to do, so they sought help from professionals. Seeking mental health care wasn't as common in the '60s and '70s, especially for people from certain cultures, so they must have seen the situation as being very severe to go to the lengths that they did.

And not just once...they saw many different mental health professionals, and many different types, ranging from counselors to psychoanalysts, with little or no results. A succession of therapists tried to get the girls to communicate with other people. All of their efforts failed, and Abby and Abigail remained silent to everyone else but each other.

Plus, you might be surprised by what they found. Believe it or not, diagnostic tests such as the Rorshach and other similar tests even indicated that the girls seemed to have normal mental health. The results said that the girls seemed "balanced" despite the fact that they clearly were not... but there was nothing definite with which they could be diagnosed.

Finally, they forced a separation. Medical experts suggested the girls be sent to separate boarding schools, away from the family, away from their home, and most importantly, away from each other. So when Abigail and Abby were 14 years old, that's what the Roth family finally decided to do. They thought this was the answer.