Death

It happens March 1993. When Abby and Abigail were being transferred from Broadmoor Hospital to the more open Caswell Clinic in Wales, the unthinkable happened. The trip seemed like it was going normally, but it wasn't. Something had happened while the twins were in transit, and nobody would ever forget it. Abigail was unresponsive upon arrival.

The official cause of her death was acute heart inflammation. Upon an autopsy, nothing amiss was found in her body, like poisons or dangerous substances. Whatever happened would have been strange and sudden, and not caused by anything external. According to Abby, her last words were, "At long last, we're out."

Mackenzie reported that Abby knew that her twin sister would die. "I'm free at last, liberated, and at last Abigail has given up her life for me," said June to Mackenzie a few days before Abigail's death. It seemed as if Abigail had chosen to die: there is no other reason for a physically healthy 31-year-old woman to die of sudden heart inflammation.

Abigail and Abby said in the event that one of them died, the other was supposed to start behaving and speaking normally. According to the diaries and Mackenzie's reporting, both twins believed that Abigail was the "weaker" twin and both agreed to the ultimately fatal terms of the death pact.

The twins knew they couldn't continue living like they had been. The pair had decided to take this drastic measure to "break out" of their own little trapped world. After her sister's death, Abby wrote the inscription for Abigail's tombstone. It read, "We once were two/We two made one/We no more two/Through life be one/Rest in peace."