Chapter Twenty One

The week had drifted by uneventfully as Connie continued to pack up her office. It was the end of her final shift in the ED for sometime and as strange as it was to her, she really did have an overwhelming feeling of sadness about leaving this place and these people behind. "Mrs Beauchamp? Sorry, is there any chance of some help just before you go?" She smirked wandering to the door following Ethan into cubicles.

Jacob watched from a distance as she floated around the department tying up any loose ends. "You know these are all things that we could do..." Connie held her breath for only a second before letting the small smile appear. "And technically, you're off duty now..." She rolled her eyes rounding the desk before stopping beside him. "Trying to get rid of me?" "Never sweet cheeks." He smirked leaning against the counter while the other hand began to trace patterns on her waist subtly. She didn't realise how closely they were standing as Charlie began to approach them. "I'm really going to miss this..." She placed her hand on top of his as she released a slow breath. "Like I said before, I'm always right here." "Hmm, I'm just starting to wish maybe I was too."

Charlie cleared his throat causing Connie to inhale and pull her eyes across to where he stood. "A few of us just wanted to say goodbye properly before you left." She released a heavy breath as Jacob smiled standing up from where he'd been leaning. "Crazy right, people actually like you now..." Connie quickly elbowed his side before pushing past him to walk with Charlie towards the staff room. Jacob followed on behind them, stepping to one side joining the others as they all said their thank you's and goodbyes.

"You know there could always be a large glass of wine with your name on it in the pub. A few of us are heading over there if you've got time." Connie looked to Duffy noticing Jacob's gentle smile before he left the room. "I've just got a few things to do here first then I'll be over." Duffy and Charlie walked out of the staff room leaving Connie alone. Looking round at the small space she felt silly for feeling so emotional about leaving this place when she'd spent the last few months downplaying the seriousness of it all.

Running her fingers across the table she walked out of the room and watched the department run itself. She was proud of the work she'd put in here to make this department as successful as it was. She'd had a lot of jobs in this place, but none of them had affected her as much as this one. The things she'd lost, the things she'd gained in that time. Walking back into her office she laughed seeing Charlie standing there waiting for her. "Didn't think you'd get away without a proper talk before you left did you?" She smirked walking into the arms he held open towards her.

"I love you Charlie, thank you for everything." He held onto her tightly for a moment before releasing her and watching as she perched on her desk, before he did the same. "You know when I thought of someone leaving this place, you were always the last I'd think of..." "What can I say, I like to surprise people." Charlie watched her with a warm smile as she glanced round the office. "So much has happened in this room, I feel like I'm saying goodbye to so much more than just a job." "It's because it's your life, it's more than somewhere you come to work. It's where you go when you need someone. It's where you go when you're seeking comfort. It's where you've made friends in your colleagues. It's where you found someone that you finally let in, who makes you smile and think that there is something worth taking a risk for."

Connie inhaled deeply with a nod. "God what's happened to me-" "She has a heart..." She smirked once again as she looked down at her lap. "You know, despite what everyone thinks this hasn't been easy for me." Charlie placed a hand on her shoulder as she sniffed lifting her head trying to force the tears to fade. "I never thought the idea of being without a distraction would be this daunting." She laughed gently beginning to wipe the tears that had fallen from beneath her eyes. Charlie's arm snaked over her shoulders offering comfort as she shook herself a moment. "I'm just really going to miss things the way they are here." "We'll miss you too, but we're always going to be here when you come back."