Chapter 5: Massacre

"Could you tell me, for what reason these soldiers attacked your village?" Azrael asked.

"I don't know... They came to our village armed to the teeth and started to slaughter us." The elder sister sobbed.

"Um... that's quite unusual... Anyway, what are your names?" Azrael asked.

"I am Karen and this is my little sister Katie," Karen said.

"Well, Karen it's really brave of you to try and protect your sister. Since there might be more soldiers around the area, I will give an item so that you can use it to save yourselves." Azrael handed her -a tiny whistle.

"We are grateful for your kindness, Sir," Karen said.

"That you should be!" Syren said as she joined them.

"Well, Syren did you record the battle?" Azrael asked.

"Yes, milord," Syren replied.

"Um... we might need that for some research work... Ah....!" Azrael stopped abruptly as his head started to ache, his vision blurred and jarred. He felt as if his head was in a vice and then he felt his body burning up. Azrael fell down to his knees.

"Lord! Are you alright?!" Syren asked in a panic.

 The pain went away as unusually as it had appeared. Azrael stood up and said. "Yes, I am fine!" He noticed something was wrong with him but negated that thought for now.

"Anyway, we are wasting time here. Let's go down to the village and massacre those soldiers!" Azrael said trying to change the topic.

Syren didn't look convinced but she did as she was ordered to.

"Sir! Before you go... Could you tell me your name...?" Karen asked.

"Oh! Of course, I am Azrael - the assassin of the shadows. Remember me." Azrael said and disappeared into the shadows of the trees.

Down at the village, the soldiers had gathered up all of the villagers at the central plaza. For a mass slaughter, then they heard a cry of pain from the edge of the village. Then the head of the soldier stationed at that position came flying and hit the leader of the squad assigned to kill the villagers.

"I believe that's one of yours." Someone's voice was heard from that direction.

The leader looked at the horizon, he saw two silhouettes shaped like humans.

"Well, I'd appreciate it, if you would let those villagers go," Azrael said.

"Who are you? Puny one!" The leader asked. Azrael looked smaller in comparison with the leader. Well, the leader looked like an overgrown rhino but even so in comparison, Azrael was smaller.

"Hmm..... If you don't want to cooperate, I can always get what I want. In this case, I can kill all of you before you lay a hand on one of these villagers." Azrael later said.

"Oh! Is that a threat?!" The leader asked amusingly. Then he looked at his warriors and said to them. "This boy is threating to kill us!" he roared in laughter and his soldiers laughed along with him, emphasizing how insignificant that threat was.

"Lord, I suggest you not to dirty your hands with such filth," Syren said.

The leader stopped laughing. "Hey, little lady, you look gorgeous. How about you ditch that weak boy and come and hang out with me tonight. I assure you will gain a lot of perks along with it, the longer you sleep with me."

Syren turned red in anger. "Outrageous! I will kill you, scum!"

"Now, now calm down, Syren," Azrael said.

"But sir! This man..." She looked at the leader in disgust.

"Yes, don't worry. I will not let some lowly insect insult my household. I will take care of this." Azrael said.

"Yes, milord." Syren obeyed.

"Are you some sort of a noble from a palace, puny one? Then run along home and play with your expensive toys at home, this is not the place you should be in. A battlefield is for real men not for you fat-assed rich scum, who know nothing about the cruel reality." The leader said as a final warning.

"Strike and kill of me, my wolf. Come forth from the shadows and devour these helpless souls for me. Cerberus!" Azrael chanted. And a shadow appeared beside him and from this shadow a pitch- black wolf appeared. t looked as dar as the night itself as if made from the shadows. Cerberus's eyes glowed blood-red as it scanned it's targeted, blaring its pure white fangs. It raised one of its ears for Azrael to give it a signal.

"Go! Rip them to shreds!" Azrael said.

Cerberus let loose as howl so so bad it scared every one of the soldiers.

"Leader! That was a fear howl! You know that means right...?" A panicked soldier asked. "That's a Shadow Wolf! The highest ranked monster! And he said its name was Cerberus. As in the Cerberus of the Shadow wolves! If that boy could tame him... Then he is as strong as a god...! We are all dead!"

"Silence, you fool! That howl just messed up your mind!" The leader shouted.

"Howl or not. There is no denying that that monster is the Cerberus. We can never hope to win..." A soldier sobbed.

Cerberus turned in to pure shadow and charged at a soldier, returning to solid form in front of him and ripped his throat off. Then it moved to another soldier and ripped him to shreds with its deadly claws. Cerberus then disappeared.

The leader shouted "Where did it go? Kill that mangy dog, Now!"

"But, sir..." A soldier said his teeth were clattering.

Cerberus appeared at the back of that soldier and pounced on him. Cerberus didn't bite him but instead started to suck the life force out of him while doing this Cerberus took control of the soldier's body and used that body to kill the rest of the soldiers brutally as the Leader kept shouting to kill it. Azrael found that situation quite hilarious. Then the soldier who was being controlled by Cerberus turned to dust as Cerberus had exhausted his life force.

The Leader of the soldiers was only one to remain. He charged with his mace to smash Cerberus. But Cerberus turned into a pure shadow and the mace passed right through him. As the mace hit the ground, Cerberus pounced on the Leader and bit and ripped him to ribbons., only a greasy spot of blood was left of him. Yes, a brutal scene.

Cerberus went back to Azrael and said " He deserved what he got for insulting my master and lady Syren. So have I fulfilled your wishes, my master?"

"Yes, you have Cerberus." Azrael smiled at him. Then he looked at the scared villagers. "Now, I need information. Let's start with these villagers."

-------------------------------------------------------------

Guys, sorry for this late update. I know that I am a week late with this update, but I had a high fever last week and I couldn't complete writing this part. I am extremely sorry for that. Anyway, if you liked this chapter then leave me a vote down below and leave me a comment on how you liked this chapter and the whole book until this point in general. I will be back with another update on next week Sunday. Until then peace...

Sincerely

Anoop Chandra

(Moon-Born)