Chapter 4 - Realization...?

Why have I been feeling so different? Did I really hit my head that badly on the door? Ugh I hate this! Why can't I just know what's wrong with me?!

You bury your face in your arms, hoping no one will notice anything. These emotions you've felt since you got here are something you need to figure out, and quickly! It's getting harder and harder for you to ignore them.

It's all because of this killing game you repeat to yourself, over and over, until...

"You're spending an awful lot of time yelling and carrying on."

Is that...?

Kyoko's voice cuts through everyone else's, and ends your never-ending worried thoughts. "Do you really think you can afford to do so? Have none of you accepted the reality of the situation?"

"Where the heck have you been?! We already started the meeting without you!" Taka starts yelling again, clearly not forgiving her tardiness.

"Phew, I'm glad you're alive Kyoko! We'll help you catch up on anything you've missed if you need us too." You quickly say, trying to resolve any possible conflicts.

Kyoko gives no response. All she does is place a piece of paper on the table. It looks like a map of Hope's Peak Academy.

So this really is where we are! We are in Hope's Peak!

Everyone discussed it, along with a few additional things and came to the same conclusion. An agreement was also made to stay in our dorms at night, but that seemed pretty obvious from the beginning as well.

"So Mr. Chairman...what next?" Junko looked to the head of the table where Taka was.

"Umm... Well then, what say we call an end to today's meeting?! It's almost nighttime anyway. We can all reconvene first thing tomorrow morning!" Taka declares.

"We should continue searching again tomorrow, yeah?" you suggest. "There's gotta be something here that will help us escape! We've just gotta keep having hope and believing in ourselves and each other!"

"Yeah, okay. Let's do that...!" Asahina says.

You watch everyone else leave the dining hall, while you intentionally walk slowly to avoid socializing in any way. Your own thoughts are enough to deal with, let alone other people. Although...

"(y/n)!" Taka walks up to you quickly, preventing you from walking away from him. "About the discussion...are you sure you're okay after it? You didn't feel guilty in any way did you?"

His voice was softer than usual...less loud and demanding and more caring and considerate.

"It's really sweet how you care so much, but I'm fine! I'll tell you when I'm feeling troubled but I'm okay! Trust me."

"Okay I'm sorry! I was just making sure! But the moment you feel the slightest bit of despair I want to be made aware of it immediately!" He points his finger at you to show how serious he is about it.

"I will, I promise! Now let's go to our dorms, it's been a long day."

"Okay then! Let us depart!"

You both leave the dining hall together, walking in silence since there isn't really much to discuss. However it is a comforting silence, not awkward in any way. Once you reach the dorms, Taka speaks up.

"Hey, uh..." He looked slightly flustered, as if he couldn't find the words to say what he wanted to.

"I just wanted to say that I-I..." He suddenly bows down. "I am extremely grateful for our friendship that we made today and I hope that we can continue to be good friends!"

As he raises himself up, you suddenly wrap your arms around his waist and pull him in for a hug, your face set aflame by the blush that consumed you earlier, and your heart quickly pounding through your chest.

WhatamIdoingwhatamIdoingwhatamIdoing?? He's gonna think I'm weird!

"I'm so glad that I met you. Everything would be so different without someone I could trust so much! I'll always be here for you, but you won't leave me, will you? We'll get out of this together, right?"

His arms wrap around you, returning the hug "Of course we will! Then we can go back to our normal lives, and find out what's really been going on!"

What's really been going on? Like all the random emotions I've felt lately? Maybe everyone else has felt them too!

You consider telling Taka about this, but the thought just makes your face even redder. N-no, he'll think I'm even weirder than he already thinks I am! I'll ask someone else about this at some point...

The two of you separate from the hug and you enter your dorm, waving to Taka in farewell.

"See you tomorrow Taka!" you say, your face beaming and still as red as a tomato.

"Yes, good night (y/n)!" he replies as he enters his own dorm, next to yours.

You fall onto your bed once more, replaying all that happened in the past few hours in your head. Feeling sick and overwhelming joy simultaneously, face burning with embarrassment multiple times, and questioning what you thought you could ignore...are all these things connected somehow?

"Uuugghh this is so annoying!" You groan into your pillow, glad that the rooms are all soundproof. "I need to sort this out, and soon! And Taka cannot find out, no matter what! I can't lose my only true friend in this place! There's others I can trust, right?"

-

A/N: AAAAAAA I REACHED OVER 100 READS THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH! I'm so glad that people have been enjoying this book it really means a lot! All the comments make me smile so much :D Please carry on giving me your feedback it really helps me to improve my writing and motivation!

And sorry if this chapter is slightly smaller than usual. It was originally part of the previous chapter but it turned out to be too long so I halved it.