Carry that Weight

Kael and Sachi joined the now crowded party both sporting toothy grins.

To her dismay, Callie noticed that not only were they holding hands, but their fingers were intertwined. That wasn't the only thing that she noticed. There was a difference in their body language and demeanor. It was a subtle change that something more than friendship blossomed between them.

She wanted to puke at their happiness. If she couldn't be happy then neither could they.

"Glad to see you finally join us," Mr. Adrian joked to laughter. Her cheeks on fire, Sachi glanced at the floor while Kael chuckled.

"Now for the big moment," Mrs. Adrian said bringing out the birthday cake-the sixteen candles lit.

As she set the birthday cake on the table, everyone gathered around and sang 'Happy Birthday' to Kael, his cheeks turning crimson. After a round of applause and whistles, his father said, "Make a wish."

Contemplative, Kael stared at his parents then at Sachi. "They already came true."

Oooh's, and Ahhh's erupted throughout the room. "Well then blow out the candles," his mother said as the crowd egged him on.

Inhaling a breath, Kael blew out the candles to hoots, hollers, and applause.

Callie folded her arms, seething.

She watched Kael hug Sachi, and then his parents. The happier they were, the angrier she became. She wanted to pay Kael back for his dismissive attitude towards her when she tried to give him the birthday present she spent her time and care to choose.

She knew just how to hurt him. A mischievous grin creasing her lips, she stepped forward.

"This is great," she exclaimed gesturing her hands in the air dramatically. "My parents would never do all this for me. Can you adopt me too, Mr. and Mrs. Adrian?"

The celebration halted. Silence filled the room.

Kael stared at Callie in a mixture of hurt, anger, and disbelief. Too shocked to react, Sachi stared at the troublemaker.

"M-Ms. Parker, I'd like for you to leave," Mrs. Adrian said breaking the tension-filled silence. Though she had a polite smile on her face, it didn't reach her eyes.

"That goes for everyone," Mr. Adrian announced. "The party is over. We'd like to have some privacy to speak to our son."

While the crowd murmured and grumbled, Callie smiled with content. She sashayed towards the door and turned around. "Oops," she said giggling. "I don't have a ride home."

"You can walk for all I care," Kael said staring daggers at her. "Now, now," Callie chided, wagging her finger enjoying the rise she got out of him.

"I'll take her home," Sachi offered to the surprise of everyone.

Kael took her aside. "Why?" he said dumbfounded. Sachi stared into his red-rimmed eyes. "Because a bully can only hurt you if you allow them to," she said.

At her sentiment, the creases on his face relaxed. He leaned against her ear. "Thank you for coming," he said planting a kiss on her earlobe.

"See you tomorrow at school," Sachi said wanting to give him a goodnight kiss. Instead, she waved goodbye.

Exiting the house, she approached her car that Callie was leaning on. Sighing, Sachi unlocked the door as Callie climbed inside.

"Seatbelt or I'm not taking you anywhere," Sachi said. Making a pouty face, Callie begrudgingly buckled the seatbelt.