Prologue

24 year old Cody Rodgers was walking back from the theater in colorado USA. His dark brown hair shined under the moonlight. His ocean blue eyes wandered around. His clean shaven face and distant smile, the one he always had, was meant to fool people.

He was actually alone inside.

He walked down the street. This time he was hiding his smile by a face mask. He did not want to catch the fumes of the newly discovered contagious disease. As Cody turned the corner, he was filled with horror.

The restaurant down the street was up in flames. People were running around looking weak then they'd just drop dead. The streets were lined with corpses. A cop came out of nowhere and pushed Cody back.

"This street is contaminated." He said. " We have this place under control however so don't-"

"Under control?" Some body asked. He walked towards the cop. "Tell me how a street full of dead people and a burning restaurant is under control!"

"Sir please remain calm!" The cop demanded.

"No!" The man said. "No this is madness!" The man reached for the cops gun, the cop got to it first and shot the man. He looked down at him in disbelief, then shot himself.

"Holy Sh*t!" Cody said aloud. He started to back up, then bumped into somebody.

"Hey watch it you piece of-" The man Cody bumped into started choking then fell to the ground. Dead.

"Holy" Cody said. He started to run towards the burning restaurant. He ran past people screaming and then dropping dead. He was worried and scared that he might have it.

As Cody ran past a gas station, a car came speeding past him. It almost hit him. If he was a foot closer Cody would be dead.

The car sped towards the gas station and hit it. It emerged into a huge orange ball of hot and filled the street with it.

Cody was sent back sprawled on the floor from impact. A few moments later, he got up. He covered some of his eyes to prevent embers and ash from entering.

He looked at the smoke filled gas station and saw orange shapes swiftly appearing. Once his vision came back a little more, he realized they were people on fire. He looked away from the mess and began running towards the restaurant. He did not know why he was running to it, he just was.

As he was running, he ran in next to a car then tripped. He looked back at his feet, and a man, completely scorched. He looked like severely burnt steak.

"Help!" The man pleaded. Cody tried shaking him off to be gentle. When that didnt work, he kicked the man a couple times in the head. On the third kick, the mans head fell of with a rust scraping rust sound.

Cody threw up in his mouth. He shoot the hand off his boot then ran.

He was almost near the restaurant. Then he bumped into someone. He and the person fell onto the ground. He shook his head and looked up. Next to him was a gorgeous girl about his age. She had sweet green eyes and pretty bright pink hair, yes pink, that reached almost halfway down her back. She seemed fairly tall but Cody couldn't really tell since she was on the ground.

She was wearing a beautiful shirt that showed her neck, shoulders, and some top chest. She had high socks as well.

She's beautiful, Cody thought

He then snapped out of it. He needs to get up. He got up then bent down towards the Girl. He extended his hand out for her. She looked up and saw his hand. She grabbed it and Cody pulled her up off of the ground.

"I'm Cody." The girl looked at him for a moment to study him, then said,

"Sophia."

"Where are you headed?" Cody asked.

"Anywhere but here would do me good." Sophia replied. He turned toward the street end. All flames and corpses. He ran with her up to a car. The radio was on.

"I, the president of the United States of America," the radio said. "Has issued a national state of emergency. All authorities are meant to stay inside and keep inside until this is solved. All land borders have been closed and this country will be kept on lockdown until further notice. So now-"

Cody and Sophia heard the president choke. People started panicking in the background.

"The president is dead!" Someone said. Then they started hearing gunfire.

"There's no more government!"

Cody and Sophia looked at each other in fright. They turned away from the car. They started to run towards the opposite road of the restaurant.

"Where do we go?" Sophia asked.

"I'm thinking we leave the state." Cody said. "Maybe it's better in, South Dakota or something."

"The president said it was a NATIONAL state of emergency. " Sophia stated.

"Then uh," Cody started. "Then we get away from the cities at least. Have a lesser chance of getting infected."

"Good Idea." Sophia said. Cody and Sophia ran towards a car. Cody smashed the window with his elbow then reached in and unlocked the door.

He opened the door then hopped in. He reached over and opened the passengers door. Sophia climbed in.

Cody bent down and took two wires and started connecting them.

"Um Cody!" Sophia said. Cody looked up and out the window. He could see a gasoline trail flowing from the gas station to an oil barrel next to the car, and a flame was zooming down the trail towards it.

"Hurry up!" Sophia said. Cody bent back to the wires and sparked them. He finally got the car to start. He shifted it in gear and sped off.

Sophia looked back and saw the barrel burst.

Cody looked out his window and saw lots of corpses lining the street. Most burnt to a crisp. Others look like they were killed mid sentence for no reason.

Half the city was in flames and ruins. Cody looked Over at Sophia, who was softly crying next to him. He grabbed her hand. He wanted to say it would be ok, but he can't promise what may not be true.