Down the Mountain

David's POV

It was only now I got a good look at the key; large and dull, rusted. Around the handle part was a curled scrap of brown paper tied to it. It definitely wasn't the car key that we had been promised; fucking dick, I thought, imagining throttling the evil spirit.

"Does that say something?" I enquired, pointing to the block of heavy-looking metal in Lilly's hand. She looked up at me then back down, following my gaze.

"Um..." She unfolded it, pressing out the creases. "Yeah, but I can't really work it out-"

"Give it to me!" my girlfriend interrupted, holding her hand out at Lilly, who passed it over, then took it under the light.

-------

Liza:
So being the tiny girl I am I assumed I could read the tiny writing, however it made no sense.

--------

"I think those two larger letters are W and C, but what are the rest?" she concluded, handing it back. We all took turns in working it out but with no success. Suddenly, Cristina jumped with a squeal, pointing over to the lamp from which those notes fell earlier. Sure enough, a sheet of paper was on the floor; I walked over and then picked it up.

"Okay, so you lot are all a lot dumber than I thought, so just to make this interesting and to draw out for your pain, Azzy will host a game of hangman. Split into two teams, boys versus girls. I will signal if your guesses are correct..." I trailed off. "What will that be?"

"Dunno," Scott shrugged. "I'm on the winning team though."

"No, I am!" Liza grinned at me and I nodded, when another sheet fell. I picked it up. "And if you run out of lives, or guess words incorrectly, you all die."

*****

Nate's POV

Eventually we had chosen teams and Azzy had stuck paper on the wall and drawn out lines for a six letter then a five letter word. "We shall do rock, paper, scissors to decide who goes first. Nate, and Lia. Do you want to play?" I stepped forwards as the dark haired female did the same did the same.

"Rock, paper, scissors shoot," she clarified, which I was thankful for as it's always a mess otherwise.

"Okay. Rock, paper, scissors." We both drew our hands; mine in a fist and hers spread out like paper. She'd won.

"The girls team can go first," Azzy suggested. I looked over at Cris, who stood among Lia, Lilly, Liza and Kristen and smiled. I'm glad these are the teams. If we could choose, it would no doubt be the "Vlog Squad" against the rest of us.

The others whispered amongst themselves before coming to a conclusion. "A," Lilly declared for their team. We all waited in silence for an agonisingly long fewminutes with no obvious signals appearing. Azzy shook her head and drew a line next to an 'a' before turning to us, awaiting our response.

"Guys, if they're going to go for the vowels, we shouldn't," I strategized quietly with them. We settled on 'm', but it wasn't one. Then they, as I predicted, chose 'e', and there was two knocks seeming to come from the walls which was a sign to show it was the second letter. Damn it, they got the first one.

Kristen's P.O.V.

It was their choice next, and they chose 'n', with a series of five knocks echoing around the room. Azzy turned to us and suddenly Liza piped up, excited. Then, realising she had to keep it quiet, she whispered: "guys, I think the first word is 'second'."