You can't have your cake and eat it

** Hi guys, sorry it's been a while since I posted, I've just been busy with life and university, lol. I made major changes to the original story. Hopefully it's better. Hope you enjoy a new chapter and let me know what you think! **

The next day at breakfast was... awkward. As Claire looked over at Tyler he seemed to ignore her like nothing had happened last night. Like they hadn't had an argument about him flirting with a random skank and then having hot, passionate sex with each other after their fight.

Claire hadn't forgiven him. She hadn't had the chance yet. And yet, she still sat at the head of the table to his right as if she had a position within his pack. As if she were Luna.

Looking out at the other pack members who lived at the house she realised no one was staring angrily at her. Maybe they didn't hate her so much now. But she did. She hated herself for letting Tyler into her heart and for thinking a rogue alpha would be capable of love and loyalty. She hated herself for getting jealous. She hated her father for putting her in this position, whatever the circumstances had been.

Claire had knocked on Mia's door last night and asked her if she could sleep in a spare bedroom. There was one on the opposite end of the hall to where the alpha's chambers were. And even though she barely slept, she was glad to be away from the alpha.

Now she needed to speak to him. For her safety and the safety of her pack she needed to negotiate with her father and resolve the issues between the two packs so she could get out of this damn place.

"Alpha Tyler, May I speak to you?"

Tyler tensed.

"What is it little one?" He seemed cautious.

"M-may I please speak with my father? I am sure if I talked to him and -"

"NO!" He roared. Everyone went quiet. Once people returned to their food, he continued.

"You will not speak to anyone from your old pack. You will not try and escape me or I will punish you. Do not test me on this Claire."

Claire remained silent, no longer feeling hungry.

"May I be excused?"

"Yes", Tyler grunted, and Claire silently stood up and left the dining table. She tried not to let the unshed tears fall as she made her way back to her room. Some people looked at her as she left the dining hall but she tried to ignore them all.

Claire wanted many things. But more than anything she wanted to cry at the injustice of what she was experiencing. Claire couldn't understand why her mate was so cruel and rude to her. He showed very little affection except when they had sex. Other than that, he showed no interest in her.

With some resolve Claire realised there was very little she could do to change anything.

When she finally made it back to her room she collapsed onto the bed in defeat. She cried for what seemed like hours as she mourned the loss of her freedom and control and the comforts of her old life.

After a while her tears began to dry, and a fierce determination overtook her. She would not allow herself to be weak and powerless. She would do everything she could to gain the respect of these people and to prove to Tyler that she could not be bossed around and treated the way he had been treating her.

She decided that she would ask Mia to train her so that she wouldn't feel so weak and worthless and powerless. And then when she figured out a plan, she would escape.

***

Mia had quickly come to respect Claire. She watched her during the week that followed at breakfast as she sat silently with her back straight and eating delicately beside their cold and ruthless alpha. She had seen Claire offer to help in the kitchen and bake a cake for one of the wolf pup's birthdays.

The pack also slowly started to realise she was nothing like her family and the rest of the Blood Moon pack. They didn't really hate her anymore, it was impossible to hate someone so pure and compassionate and... well, innocent looking.

That's why when Claire asked if she would train her to learn some combat skills she agreed.

"The pack will respect you as Luna if they know you are strong and loyal. If you continue to prove yourself, they will come to love and protect their Luna no matter the risks. I will agree to train you on one condition."

Claire hesitated. "I don't care if they don't think I'm good enough to be a Luna, I just want to be able to stand up for myself. To protect myself if something bad happens. What is your condition?"

"You must give alpha Tyler a chance Claire. He may seem harsh and distant at times but he loves this pack more than you could imagine, and he would do anything for them. And you."

Claire sighed. "It doesn't seem that way. I don't doubt his loyalty to the pack, I doubt his loyalty to me. At night we-." Claire blushed.

"Yes?"

Claire seemed uncomfortable to talk, but then she continued. "We are intimate." Claire fiddled with her hands, refusing eye contact with her. She continued, "but then, during the day he completely ignores me as if I do not exist. I have tried so many times to ask him about my family and pack, but he shuts me down every time."

It was Mia's turn to sigh.

"Alpha Tyler can be very stubborn, and doesn't really express his feelings to anyone except the pack children and his most closest men. His father taught him to be strong for his pack no matter what. Showing weakness is not in his nature. Give him some time Claire, you will see how brave and caring he can be with time."

Claire nodded. "I hope you are right. But what do you mean about his father teaching him to lead? You are all rogue."

"Well," Mia began, "He wasn't always rogue. Alpha blood runs through his veins. His father was the alpha of the Highlands pack."

Claire gasped. "The highlands pack? But they were torn to shreds in the battle with the Nightcrawlers! They were completely destroyed."

"Yes but he survived. After he escaped from vampiric enslavement he worked to save other wolves who had been captured or turned rogue. That's how we grew as a pack."

Claire gasped. "I had no idea."

Mia nodded. "He's faced a lot of hard ship and anguish in his life Claire. But despite it all he's never given up on his pack, both new and old."

Claire was deep in thought as she contemplated Mia's words. She was excited to train with Mia but she was nervous about her mate. How could she open her heart when he used her body at night and treated her as if she did not exist during the day? It had already been two weeks and she had made no progress with him whatsoever. But she was determined to try. She could not continue living like this, it was worse than being bullied as a child. Because Tyler treated her as if she meant nothing to him, his one and only mate. But it was time to change all that. She would teach him to respect her, no matter what it took.