12

Daniel slowly pulled himself from the darkness, opening his eyes slowly. His head was pounding like a drum, and the tiniest light felt like it was burning his eyeballs. He felt bile rise in his throat and quickly swallowed the nausea, forcing himself to sit up and open his eyes fully.

When his eyes adjusted to the light, Daniel surveyed the room he was in. Damon was chained to the wall beside him, still unconscious. The rest of Daniel's family was chained to the opposite wall. His 'parents', Jacob and Emily had long stakes protruding from their chests, not deep enough to kill them or render them unconscious, but enough to keep them feeling nauseous and dazed. Lucy, Bethany, Harry and Martha, his other 'siblings', were heavily chained against the wall, bound and gagged. Harry, the youngest of them at thirty years old, physically appearing to be eight, looked scared. Glancing over his shoulder, Daniel saw a massive grey sentry wolf sat beside the door, staring at him coldly.

Damon stirred across the room from Daniel, opening his eyes blearily, and forcing himself into a sitting position. Damon glared at Daniel, his eyes speaking volumes through his gag. Daniel glared back. Damon rolled his eyes and looked away, looking ill. Nicky hasn't abandoned us. Daniel told himself firmly. He promised me he'd come. Daniel repeated that to himself for almost half an hour, before he heard a key turning in the lock of the heavy wooden door, which opened to admit Nicky. He shot the vampires a look of disgust, before turning to the wolf beside the door, which had changed into a tall, dark-haired man. Daniel saw the family resemblance immediately.

"Carlo told me to take over watch duty, dad," said Nicky quietly. Nicky's father nodded and left the room swiftly. Daniel could hear his heavy boots thumping along the stone corridor outside for several minutes. Nicky waited until the key was heard turning in the lock, before he pressed his ear to the door. He listened carefully until his father's footsteps faded, and quickly went to Daniel. He pulled the gag from Daniel's mouth and looked down at the chains binding Daniel's wrists and ankles.

"Are you alright?" He asked quietly. "You're not hurt?" He pressed a quick kiss to Daniel's lips.

"No." Daniel breathed. "Hurry up." Nicky tugged at the heavy brass ring on the wall, groaning with exertion. It came loose quickly. He and Daniel tugged on the chains, hoping to break them, but to no effect. Nicky wiped his brow tiredly, looking around for help. Daniel could see the questioning looks of his siblings and quickly explained who Nicky was. Nicky went over and pulled the stakes from Daniel's parent's chests, stepping back quickly when Jacob launching himself at Nicky with a snarl.

"Dad, it's alright. He's with me." Looking rather apprehensive, Nicky stepped forward and quickly removed the gags from the rest of Daniel's family. He leapt back as Lucy bared her fangs and tried to bite him. Daniel scolded her quickly, and told his parents what was happening. Nicky returned to Daniel's chains, working out which chain looped over and fastened where, before he changed into the large black wolf. His long fangs clamped over the chains and bit down hard. With the grind of twisting metal, and a soft yelp from Nicky as one of his fangs cracked, Daniel was free, except for the shackle rings around his ankles. Nicky went over to Damon, ignoring the blood trickling slowly down his muzzle, and quickly bit through Damon's chains. Damon jumped to his feet and went to help his parents escape their chains. Tugging together, the three of them managed to snap the chains while Nicky started freeing the others. Lucy darted away from Nicky as soon as she was free, her fangs still bared in a low snarl. Daniel shot her a look, but remained silent as he began examining the door lock.

Martha handed him one of her hair slides and Daniel quickly set to work on picking the lock. He heard the faint click of the locking mechanism a few minutes later, and nodded at Damon. He quickly opened the door, and the pair of them crept out into the hallway. Nicky followed immediately behind, still wolf-formed, his paws moving silently over the stone floor. They were in some sort of basement, styled similarly to the dungeons of old castles. The floors were paved with heavy flagstones, covered with a thin layer of dirt; the walls were plain stone, lit by the occasional bare light bulb dangling from the ceiling. Daniel shivered despite himself. The entire place exuded an air of neglect, hinting that they were probably in the middle of nowhere. Nicky's large head gently butted the small of Daniel's back. He looked down at the wolf, whose dark brown eyes were smiling at him. Daniel hesitated, before he patted the wolf's head gently, ignoring Damon's look of disbelieving disgust.