13: 'I WANT A BLACK CASKET'

AKA THE TIME THEY PREPARE FOR WAR

"We can't do anything about it," was the final thing the agent said, shifting his stand over at the sand. The three of them had chosen to meet at the underbelly of the pier. The waves were wild after eight, and it numbed the sound of conversation. Or the way Minwoo's eyes narrowed, speaking first.

"What do you mean you can't? We uncovered a big mess behind one of your most perfect prosecutors."

"And it doesn't help," the agent muttered over wearily. His eyes looked worn with their shadows deep. He had disappeared again once the files and photographic evidences were sent. The body in the Church, the body in the wall, the boards. Everything Rosalie Jang made and connected.

"Listen guys, I'm sorry, but with the case against Chairman Lee is far more important right now. My superiors are not going to do anything. And if both of you do anything to pull out anything you have for this case, they will shut you down."

Grayson smiled faintly. "A threat. Now this just got very exciting."

Minwoo's face doesn't change. "I am inclined to agree."

"I'm sorry, okay? The prosecutor is a horrible man, trust me, all I want is to lock him for two murders, but we need him to lock up a far more horrible man. We're trying to get them one bit at a time."

Grayson notched an eyebrow. "And the bigger fish far more important?"

The agent's face was clamped in a grim line. "Unfortunately. So I would appreciate if you two just keep it mum for now, okay? People are already in the places you sent over. They're going to take everything and prepare the case against the prosecutor. Right after the Chairman's case is done, we'll make a move."

"But that could be in years," Grayson countered. "The prosecution's counter-argument right now is flimsy. Nothing they have will stick. I don't know if you remember that the statutes of limitations was brought back in 2087 and we're not sure the time period of Ms. Inside the Wall's been... inside the wall."

"I understand that. But this is evil and lesser evils. We have to get this guy first. Then we can work on with the prosecutor. And even if it passes the statutes of limitations, the case can still be re-opened using Rosalie Jang's case."

Grayson made a face. "That's the shadiest way to do a murder case."

The agent stared at him, but Grayson was unperturbed. He was back to his old self, cheery and wearing that shit-eating grin. Before the agent could go through the lines he rehearsed, Minwoo tapped his cane on the stones.

"Fine. Do what you need to do. Send the next case for us soon or I'm the one who's going to start a riot. Grayson let's go."