TEN

The Light & The Darkness
X. The Light & The Darkness

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

May 4th, 1557

Katherine Gilbert

TIS DAY IS the day of Princess Mary and Edward's wedding and noble lords from all over the land have come to witness the wedding of the century. Her majesty, the queen and the Lady Elizabeth have planned a magnificent ceremony, feasts, and jousting tournaments for the weeks of celebrations.

Princess Mary had been anxious since she had awoken from her slumber. She had all her servants running with their tails between their legs. It seemed no one could calm her down except for my sisters and I.

Not even her oldest of ladies could calm her, but it was clear what was happening with the princess. She was frightened of the day. Like any bride in an arrangement made by their father she has her heart racing with anticipation.

Since the servants had no way of pleasing their princess I had fetched the crown princess's wedding jewels. Every bride of the crown prince wears these jewels on their wedding to show their transition in status from a mere lady to a royal princess and future queen.

For the princess it is not a transition in her status, but a show of her station as heir and future queen. Quite symbolic for the royal family to have these jewels from hundreds of years ago.

Silly they may be, they stand in for a purpose to show the people who is the heir. Such a hard task for a sad girl.

Even though the princess and I are on good terms and have made a friendship I will not deny that my feelings are still a little cold. Yet, the friend I have made in the princess are slowly warming those feelings.

I went to the official royal jeweller for the jewels. She was an old woman who had four guards at her side as she brought out the polished chestnut chest. The old woman warned me not to lose the chest or I would be put to death.

The jewels were precious, she said. They had been made on the order of John the Lawmaker for his daughter-in-law, Queen Emma, who was hand picked by him as she was the daughter of his best friend, Alaric Owens.

The jewels had been in the royal family for four hundred and sixty-eight years. They are refurbished every ten years to keep them intact. The jewels made for a future queen.

I walked into the princess's chambers with her ladies and servants preparing her for the day. She had worn her mother's wedding dress with a little touch of the times. Isabella was tightening the strings of the princess's dress when the princess saw the chest.

She moved Isabella's hands away and walked over to me. I unlatch the lock of the chest and open it for the princess. She stares at them in awe for three minutes before raising her eyes to me. "Lady Katherine would do me the great joy of putting on the jewels?"