11

"Babe."

"Hm?" Sharon answered absentmindedly, eyes fixed on her laptop screen.

"Come to bed. It's almost midnight," Max mumbled as he placed his phone on the bedside table.

When she turned and smiled, there was nothing sultry or promising about the gesture. She snatched her laptop and rushed over. Settling next to him, she turned the screen and Max's eyes nearly melted from the glare.

"Turn that off." He looked away.

"Sorry. Look again. Come on." She chuckled and Max marvelled at how she could be so awake at that time of the night. "Go on, read what it says."

Blinking repeatedly, Max dared to focus on the screen. There was this image of a couple locked in a pretentious as hell dreamy embrace and the words 'The no-touch challenge' were written in wispy fonts next to them. Max frowned. "What am I looking at?"

"It's a challenge, dummy. According to several testimonies on the site, it would help us get closer than we've ever been before."

"And that can be attained by not touching?" He cocked a brow. "Doesn't that strike you as ironic? Even the couple in this picture are touching. Look."

"Don't be negative." Sharon rolled her eyes. "You haven't even heard what it's all about."

Max massaged his shut eyes and rolled to his back. "Okay, tell me."

"We pick some days higher than seven but not more than sixty and abstain from touching each other."

Max laughed and couldn't stop for almost a full minute.

"What's funny?"

He looked her way then laughed again. For some reason, her frown was the most hilarious sight he had seen in days. When she glared, Max forced himself to stop.

"Babe," he sighed and wiped at the wetness around his eyes "we have already done this challenge. I mean, when last did you let me touch you?"

Guilt flashed in her eyes before she snatched her laptop and made to get away.

"Hey." He held her arm, stopping her from leaving. "What if..." he paused, waiting until he had her full attention.

Placing the laptop aside, she folded her arms across her chest and lifted a brow. "What if what?"

"What if a spider is crawling up your head or something, can I touch you then?"

She rolled her eyes. "Of course, you can—you know what I mean about the no touching."

"Do I?" He grinned. "It's just that I would hate to let you have a silly accident because of that challenge."

"I know you know what I mean."

When she shrugged a shoulder in an attempt to shake his hand off, Max snatched his hand away. Widening his eyes, he pointed at the top of her head. "Look."

"What?" She sat straighter, hand flying to her head.

"Don't. There is a spider on—"

Sharon didn't let him finish. Springing off the bed, she leapt about as she slapped at the top of her head. "Get it off! Get it off."

Unable to contain the sight, Max burst into laughter.

"What?" Her eyes were round as she stared at him, chest rising and falling with her harsh breaths. "Is it still—wait, was there even a spider?" Her eyes narrowed to slits.

"Sorry, babe." He shook his head and fell into another fit of laughter. Jesus, this woman would kill him. He gripped his stomach, eyes misting with tears.