10: A Visitor for Beatrice

They walked in, as fashionable as usual, the mother first and Charles walking behind. They were all obliged to stand, and Marie was happy to see him smiling at her. If the situation permitted, she was sure he would have waved at her.

After greetings had been exchanged, he was free to remove himself with Marie and Roseanne to the end of the room where they were before. Beatrice didn't dare move from beside her mother, but something in the way she curled her lips made Marie think that she was unsatisfied with where she was standing, and she probably would have liked to have heard what they were saying.

Charles took the armchair opposite of the sofa and sat himself down. "So, how do you do, Lady Roseanne? And my dearest Marie?" He nodded his head at each of them respectively.

"Charles, it's nice to see you again," Marie started, that calm expression on his face told her that he was just as happy as she was. "I'm glad that your mother brought you here; you don't usually come with her to home visits."

"Well, I think she's changed her mind now. Looks like I'll be going to a few more house visits." He gave a little laugh.

Roseanne laughed with him too.

"What do you," he added a formality, "my ladies, have in plan for the next two days? And the next week?"

"I'm afraid it'll be frightfully boring; there's nothing tomorrow and a couple of days later is Lady Brown's picnic. And I'm sure that the rest of the week is just home visits," Marie let out a sigh.

"Yes," Roseanne continued, shaking her head and sending her brown curls bouncing, "can you imagine how unbearable it is for us ladies, Mr Trenwell? Even though we complain of all the hard work preparing for an event, it is what keeps us busy after all. When there's no events, then there's no work to do."

"I'm sure that everyone else is in your position. Even me." He leaned forward, "But there is always something else that you can do . . ." He trailed off purposely.

"That being?" Roseanne questioned him, her eyes almost squinting at his face.

"Well," he laid back on the armchair back and added playfully, "it isn't conventional."

"Go on," Marie urged.

"Perhaps also not done very frequently. In fact, that's the very reason I came over here, Marie, to extend to you an invitation. I'm sure you and Lady Roseanne would find it fun, but I wasn't sure about Lady Beatrice."

Roseanne started, "Never mind about her, she's always that way. What a spoilsport, no? Lady Marie and I are definitely more adventurous than she is."

Marie noted the slight disappointment in Charles' face as he looked down at his polished leather boots.

"Well, after you tell us what it is, and we approve of it," Marie paused. She hoped it wasn't something that the Duchess would disprove of. "I'll do my best to make sure Lady Beatrice knows about it as well. But, Charles, what is it?"

He stood up out of his chair so unexpectedly that Marie and Roseanne were both shocked, but he explained. "Lady Beatrice is walking towards us." He certainly seemed very excited about the prospect of Beatrice joining the conversation.

She came and took a seat on the other side of Marie, with that expression of curiosity on her face, her eyes scanning the three of them and her hands clasped together in front of her.

Roseanne began, trying to inform Beatrice of the news.

Premeditating what she would say, Charles shot Marie a look of caution.

"Lady Beatrice, Mr Trenwell was just telling us of something--"

Marie interrupted her quickly, noticing the look she was given, "Of something that had happened the other day."

Unamused, Beatrice looked between the two girls then returned to Charles and gave him a little smile. Marie noticed hints of contempt in it and her guess was confirmed by Charles' reaction; his hands gripped into tight fists and he was shuffling his feet.

"Well, what is it, Mr Trenwell?" Beatrice asked.

"I-I doubt it would interest you, milady." He promptly sat back down.

Marie thought he pulled it off quite respectfully. After how she had stared at him, he could have been much meaner.

Beatrice seemed affected by that sentence. She winced ever so slightly. Nobody really understood how or why and, judging by Charles' face, Marie thought that he didn't either. There was a silence among the group, but it didn't last long as they were interrupted by the aroma of hot tea being served.

"Here's the tea," Roseanne's shrill voice was the first to break the silence. "I'd better go to my mother, I think she needs to say something to me." With that, she took her leave.

As soon as Roseanne turned to leave, Beatrice spoke, "I have to finish something. . . in my room." She exited the drawing room by the other door and headed towards the living quarters.

Marie thought that she should have at least given a better excuse. She was certain that if she told the Grand Duchess about this, she wouldn't have been impressed, but maybe, she thought she shouldn't tell her because Beatrice was obviously affected by something Charles had said, and it wouldn't be fair after all. Plus, it might just help her get to the bottom of Beatrice's feelings for Charles.

There was only her and Charles left at that side of the room; if she was going to ask what the activity was, now was a good time.

"Charles?" She got his attention rather swiftly, but he was still looking every now and then at where Beatrice had exited the room. "What was it that you were talking about before?"

It took him a few seconds to reply to her question. "Do you want to know?"

She nodded.

"Well, not here," he looked around, trying to find any other rooms. "Can you take us somewhere where we can't be heard?"

Marie stood up. "Take my arm."