Love me,Beta.

Mates. 

Everybody expects mates to be something magical, something miraculous. Something so wonderful even just thinking about your mate is supposed  make your heart swell in my chest.

My heart did swell in my chest whenever I thought about my own mate, but then my blood began to boil and my heart began to break. 

I was supposed to be free. I was supposed to live happily ever after. I wasn't supposed to be rejected. I wasn't supposed to be replaced, but that is exactly what happened. 

The morning of my eighteenth birthday was surprisingly the same day that I officially began my senior year. I awoke earlier than I was supposed too, my wolf demanding that I got a move on. 

"Mate! She yells from within me. "Must find mate." 

I roll my eyes at her blatant disregard for basic English."What if we don't meet him today, huh? It could take a while y'know?"

This was true. Werewolves recognised their mates at eighteen, but that doesn't always mean that we always found them then. It could take years.

My wolf whined internally from that thought, and I cringed. Note to self, do not piss off overly emotional inner wolf. 

"What are you pmsing or something?" I ask her forcing myself out of bed. 

"Must have mate." My wolf replies. 

"Since when are you ever this vocal? Normally I'm lucky to get three words out of you." 

My wolf doesn't answer but instead she whines. "Must find..."

"Mate." I finish for her. "Yeah, yeah, I know,"

I dress more carefully than I would normally have for a day at school, but today could be the day I met my mate. I wanted to look good.

I went over to my closet and pulled out the perfect ensemble, a white skirt with four horizontal navy stripes running down the entire length of it. I slip on a white tank top and my navy blazer. I slide my feet into my only black wedged heels, that looked almost like ankle boots and curl out my thick brown hair. 

I line my eyes carefully in black liner, add a sweep of mascara and use my eyeshadows to do the whole smoky eyed effect. I gloss my lips, spray some perfume and run for the door. 

It was only then as I was running toward my car that I realised I had forgotten to take a shower. Go me!

I park my car in my usual spot. I slide out and am immediately locked into a pair of arms. 

"Happy birthday Isobel."

I smile against a familiar chest and  wince as I hear my bones crack. 

"Tristan, seriously, your going to crush me" I cough out .

"Oh right." Hes smiles. "So Today's the big one- eight. How are you feeling any tingles? Signs? Been shot with any arrows by a freakishly over sized baby?"

"No!" I laugh and punch him in his arm. Tristan fake winces and I roll my eyes. I know that as a werewolf and as the Beta's nephew, I did not hurt him. 

"My wolf has been freaking out though. All she ever says if must find..."

"Mate." Tristan interjects. "I know mine has been doing the same for three months now. I don't think he's talking to me anymore." Tristan looks away from me, his grey eyes filing with hurt and a sadness that made my chest ache. 

"You'll find them." I say reaching out and squeezing his hand tightly. "I know you will." 

Tristan shakes his head slightly, biting down on his lower lip. "When? Its not every day that you meet a gay werewolf now is it?"