Before the fall

By the time My father arrived, the wolves involved had cleared out .

Surprise, surprise.

I did look over my shoulder long enough to see my father with Josh and Caleb  from his furious stance and heated stare, I doubted he was exchanging family recipes. 

Tristan and I got to math with a little less than ten seconds to spare, surprisingly there was no sign of Mr Corbet. The aging mentally unstable professional with a lack of personal hygiene and no acknowledgement for personal space.

We were stuck with a substitute that seemed about as happy to see us as we were to see her.

After a series of name swapping, language confusion and general pranks, she buckled down with a random pop quiz and resumed texting underneath her desk.

"So, Are you going to tell me what that was all about?"

"I am no Pythagoras but three dimensional shapes?" Tristan shrugged, tapping his pencil off of the side of his desk.

I rolled my eyes. "You know what I mean."

I looked at my best friend, refusing to cower or admit his obvious dominance.

He finally surrendered with a shrug of his own. "Josh and I just had a difference of opinion that's all."

I sat up straighter in my chair. I thought that the fight could only have been initiated by Caleb's actions  and Tristan jumping to my defense, perhaps that assumption was a little self centred.

"Meaning?"

"That Josh is a self serving asshole with little regard for other people."

"Are you going to elaborate?"

The substitue's phone vibrated loudly, drawing my eyes from Tristan over to her desk, in an act of pure desperation she attempted to cover the sound with a fake coughing fit.

I turned back to Tristan.

He shook his head.

I hated this.

A pack was supposed to be a bond that was stronger than family, something that was so close knit that nothing could tear us apart.

But the pack was destroying it's own, like a bomb from the inside out, and I could only watch it happen.

I didn't want to push Tristan, so I settled for another topic that had been bugging me.

"I don't really pay attention to the higher rank douche bags. How are you guys related again?"

Tristan sighed.

" I tend not to acknowlege that fact. 

My father, Calebs mother and Josh's father are siblings.  

Josh's father and mine are fraternal twins, hence the Alpha and Beta, but because I am gay and have no means to producing heirs,  I was stripped of the title and it was given to the next male in line. Caleb. Caleb, Josh and Jenna are my cousins."

I guess that made sense, but not the stripping of Tristan's title.

After the rogue attack on our pack years ago, Tristan's father was injured. A rogue had bit him on the thigh and tore out a chunk of flesh, after he was shot by a poisonous dart lined with silver.

The injury meant that he couldn't stand for long, and therefore could not fight. A beta with no means to defend themselves is of no use to the pack, and without a second thought Tristan's father was forced to step down, and My father was temporarily assigned as the Alpha's advisor.