Chapter 17: A Long and Arduous Journey! The Sand Scatters in the Wind!

Kakashi and Yamato stood before their team, nodding at each member as way of marking attendance. Neji stood next to Hinata, folding his arms but smiling as they conversed with a more-than-fired up Lee. Sakura was next to Sasuke, who was scowling into the distance, so she had struck a conversation with Kiba. Shikamaru sighed and scratched his head while Choji finished his last chip.

“Well, almost everyone is here,” said Yamato. “Where is Sai?”

“Right here, sir!” the man in question answered, waving at them as he walked across the gateway threshold. He was wearing that phony smile again.

“Ah, there you are.” Kakashi gestured him to his side and addressed the group. “Everyone, this is Sai, he is filling in Naruto’s place on Team Seven.”

Kiba scratched his head. “Why is he getting a replacement? We’re getting him back anyway.”

“That’s what I said,” Sakura grumbled, immediately glaring at her sensei.

Hinata frowned and looked to Sasuke, who met her gaze and shut his eyes tightly soon after. This display alone was enough explanation. “Naruto…” she said softly. “Oh no.”

“Well,” Kakashi began, addressing Kiba’s question, and giving Sakura a doleful look with his good eye before continuing, “Naruto can no longer be trusted by the village. If we want to bring him back, we must adhere to the Hokage’s terms that he is to be put under containment until he can prove able to return to his normal life.”

“Are you kidding me?” Kiba retorted, his canine companion giving an terse bark in agreement. “Naruto’s our friend! Of course we trust him!”

“Yes,” their leader replied, exasperated, “but a handful of people do not make up the whole village! He’s proven to be dangerous, and if we bring him back-”

“I do not believe this! The only reason Naruto left was because the village didn’t respect him!” Lee cried, raising a fist into the air. “Perhaps the Hokage should reconsider her conditions?”

“Calm down, Lee,” said Neji. “Kakashi-sensei has a point. Naruto chose to leave the village and join the Akatsuki. He chose to become powerful enough to destroy the village. Why should he be trusted after such decisions? While I respect Naruto and wish to bring him back, I must agree on this.”

Kakashi sighed. “Thank you, Neji. Anyway, we will be splitting up this group into two sections. I have divided each team according to who works well with whom, and so that each team has one Sharingan user and one Byakugan user. Neji and I will lead Shikamaru, Lee, and Choji. Yamato, Sasuke, and Hinata will lead Sai, Kiba, and Sakura. Once we have more intel on where the Akatsuki members have gone, we will split up. My group takes the ground, Yamato’s to the trees- so that we have a full view of our surroundings. If one group comes in contact with an Akatsuki member, the other is to keep moving at all costs. Remember, our primary goal is Naruto, but we are also helping the Sand rescue their Kazekage.”

Sasuke’s eyes widened. That’s right! This wasn’t just a retrieval mission. The whole reason Suna requested their assistance was because their Kazekage was missing and their village was in a terrible state. He felt almost guilty for not thinking of Gaara at first.

“Alright. This is a three day trip, so be prepared.”

Sakura punched her palm and scoffed. “We’ve been prepared since Naruto left the Leaf, Kakashi-sensei!”

Temari paced back and forth in front of the hospital room her brother occupied. Kankuro had been badly injured during his battle with one of the Akatsuki, and she was wrought with worry for now him and Gaara. She was telling herself not to cry, and she was doing a fine job of that. But then, ordering the medical ninja around distracted her from breaking down in the middle of the hallway from the utter hopelessness she felt.