Sidestory #1

"3... 2... 1... Liftoff!!"

Everyone cheered as they let go of the lantern, allowing it to fly off into the once-empty night sky. Thousands of flying lanterns rose as the countdown came to an end, floating off into the darkness while carrying everyone's wishes and hopes. All the people, participant or not, watched the spectacular sight of thousands of lanterns floating off into the sky, slowly going out of sight. No one could locate their lantern amidst others, as there were simply too many lanterns. Soon, all the lanterns disappeared after floating high in the sky, from one tiny speck of light to nothing. Who knows where it had floated off to?

Waving goodbye to the lanterns, you, Miku, Ryn, Kaito, Luka, Len, Rin and Takigawa all cheered and applaused. All of you were currently at a summer festival, located up a small hill where there was a shrine. People had set up stalls of such alongside the road in coherent to the festival. Hundreds of people turned up to the festival, and you Vocaloid gang were no different. Taking your day off together, the few of you came to the festival dressed in yukata and kimono. Funnily enough, the appearance of you Vocaloids did not attract a crowd, which was a good thing considering all you wanted was to have a good time with your lover and friends.

"(Y/n)-kun, try this," Miku said, holding out an apple candy for you.

"Hm? Alright," you accepted Miku's proposal and took a few licks off the candy. "Not bad, I like it,"

"Hehe," Miku grinned and licked the candy. "I knew you would like it."

After the 'Flying Lantern' event, where you all wrote your wishes on the lantern and let it fly off where it is believed your wish will come true, you all parted your own ways until the festival end. Needless to say, you went together with Miku as you wanted to spend some quality time with her. In the first place, you were the one to invite Miku to this festival but it was overheard by everyone else, so they all tagged along. Now that you were separated from them, you finally got your wish to be alone with Miku.

"M... Miku..." you called out to her, looking at her petite figure walking next to you.

"What is it, (y/n)-kun?" Miku asked you, still licking the candy.

"Do you... um... prefer spending more time with me alone or with everyone else?" You asked her softly, wanting to know how she felt.

"... Well... maybe more time with you..." she replied softly with a light blush on her face. "I-I mean, together with friends are fun and all... but we rarely get some alone time at work... so maybe I prefer being with you... hehe..."

"... Your answer is cute, Miku," you chuckled and wrapped an arm around her shoulder, pulling her close to you.

Miku made a soft 'kya~' sound as you gently pulled her close to you. Gulping lightly, she pulled your hand off her shoulder and wrapped her hand around yours, wanting to hold hands properly with you. Noticing her intention, you let her do as she pleased because you didn't mind it. The intention was to be alone with Miku anyway, so holding hands would be what you would go after.

Looking down at her hand grasping yours ass the two of you slowly cruised through the crowd, you couldn't help but notice the engagement ring on Miku's finger. Of course, you had one on your other hand as well, but looking at the ring on Miku made you more satisfied. It made you feel like you had finally done something right. After the few years of leaving everyone, you finally returned and settled down. A few days ago, you also got engaged with Miku, thus the engagement ring on both you and Miku's ring finger.

Miku noticed your stare and smiled happily as well. She leaned upwards and gave you a small peck on your cheek, causing you to blush lightly at that. Miku giggled lightly at your respond before she urged you to walk faster. Not wanting to hold up the crowd behind you, you followed Miku's lead and headed down the crowded street.