Ch. 3 Third to fourth wheel

The friends for some reason don't feel like close friends or childhood friends they grew up with. Instead, they feel like strangers that the main character barely even knows. The friend(s) of the main character(s) are never given properly side stories at all. I get that they are side/ supporting characters and that they are but they shouldn't just be there being annoying or irrelevant. If you want readers to enjoy them give us a reason to believe they fit into the story.

Give them some personality. Give us reasons why they may or may not support the main characters dating. I'm not saying they should have chapters set aside for them. That would be ridiculous. Look all I'm saying is that they should be explored as a character a bit or why have them in the story at all?

For example how long has this person known the main female? How did this character meet the main male? Stop making the friends flat and mindless cheerleaders for the main two characters. It's ok to give these minor characters development, goals, and opinions. It's alright if they don't fully agree with the main character.

In some ambw stories, the black woman would usually have friends that would pop in and out of chapters; but never severed any importance. It didn't even feel like they were friends with her. Or they're in full support of every decision she makes even when it's bad, and they never speak up about anything. As for the Asian man he usually never has a friend and her friends always become his friends. Like, come on! I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, I'm just saying it's done too much.

Overall the friend(s) just feel like third wheels for the most part. That seriously needs to change. If you can't bring purpose to their presence in the story don't add them. It's best to not make the characters have friends if they can't be written correctly. Please work on this element before publishing ambw.

See you next chapter...