Chapter 7

Chapter 7

I walked back home after my chat with Gale. When I walked inside my house, I took off my jacket and hung it up on the doorknob of the front door. I didn't really feel like walking upstairs and hanging it in the closet. I took off my shoes and sat down on the couch. I laid my head back and closed my eyes.

"Your finally back. You took too long," said a voice.

I opened my eyes, hoping it to be Peeta. Maybe he came back. I smiled widely and looked behind me. I frowned in disappointment. It wasn't Peeta, it was Haymitch.

"Oh, it's just you." I say, turning back around.

He laughed, but not a joyful laugh. "Just me? You should be more happy when you see me. I did a lot for you and you do nothing for me."

I sigh. He's right. He helped me through the first and second Games. He sent Peeta and I food, to survive. And the hardest thing of all, he managed to stick with me all these years. And I know it's hard with me. I'm stubborn, sarcastic, hard to live with.

"Your right. I'm sorry, I just. . ." I trailed off, thinking of Peeta.

Haymitch nodded and sat down beside me on the couch. We sat in silence until I asked him a question.

"Where's the kids?"

"They're playing outside. They really miss you, you know." He replied.

I suddenly feel guilty. I haven't seen my kids since before Peeta had his episode. I haven't spent some time with them. I just miss Peeta so much, I guess I kind of forgot about them. Now, I'm angry. At myself. How does a mother forget about her kids? I get up from the couch and go outside to the meadow, leaving Haymitch.

When I get to the meadow, I see Willow and Rye chasing each other. They are laughing, smiling, and then I manage a smile. I walk over to them and when they see me, they run over and hug me tightly. I smile wider and hug them back.

"I missed you mommy." Rye said.

"I'm sorry, baby." I said sadly. "But now I'm going to play with you guys, alright?"

They both nod and I start to chase them. We play until the afternoon.

______

When the kids and I get tired, we walk back inside. We sit on the couch in silence until Rye says, "Mommy."

"Hmm?" I reply.

"Where's daddy?"

I freeze. How am I supposed to tell my 5 and 7 year old that their father left them? How do I make that sound okay? I know I can't tell them the truth. And I immediately fell bad that I'm going to lie to them, again. First, I lie about my life, and now I'm going to lie again. I really try to tell the truth to them, but I just can't bear to them that Peeta left.

"Umm. . ." I say trying to think of a reasonable answer. "Daddy went on a trip."

"Why didn't he say bye to us?" Willow asked.

"Because. . . he was late, and had to leave as soon as possible." I say, my heart filled with guilt.

"When is he going to be back?" asked Rye.

"Soon. Okay? Real soon." I say, closing my eyes. A tear fell from my eye, but I wiped it away. I really do hope Peeta comes back. But at this point, after two days, I already lost hope.

Authors Note: Hey guys, sorry this was a short chapter. I'll make it longer next time. I really hope you like it, and please vote!!! 😀