Chapter 6

Back

          I explained to her how I was hit by a car, to how I saw the little boy, and my dream. She continuously raised her brow as I spoke, though I wasn't surprised she did.

"You're crazy!" Clarice exclaimed.

"I'm not,"

"Oh my god"

           Clarice put her hands behind her head. I flicked my nail and breathed hoarsely. I didn't know what she would say, or what I should say.

           "Let's go," she demanded eventually, clutching my shoulder in a harsh grasp. I dragged myself over with her, not daring to say anything. My mind was racing, but I wasn't sure why.

           After what seemed like a millenia, we reached our classroom.

Abruptly, the bell rang, making me jump. Clarice and I rushed into our seats; we usually sat on the right side in the back. Today, she sat in the front. I followed her, not bothering to ask her why she wanted to sit there. Clarice was still silent. I couldn't tell if she was trying to process what I had told her, or if she was deciding to hang out with me anymore. At least I still had the darkness.

           Ms. Jones walked into the classroom, elegantly pushing the door out in front of her. She seemed to be carrying nothing except a coffee mug. Her short, brown hair was in a tiny ponytail as she sipped her coffee, slipping into her desk at the front of the classroom.

           Clarice leaned over for a second, then moved back, almost trying to decide whether she wanted to believe me. I was worried about what would happen, if she would tell anyone. I felt crazy. I had felt like it so many times, I almost believed I was. Breathing out, I let go of the thought.

           I glanced around at my classmates. They all seemed to be busy with something. Filling led, shuffling papers, ect. I barely knew anyone. It seemed awkward to be sitting in the front. I could see everything, when my view was normally the backs of people's heads. I didn't know why Clarice was sitting in the front. Maybe she was simply tired of doing what I wanted to do, or was hoping I wouldn't sit with her. I gulped at the thought. Maybe I shouldn't have told her, though she probably didn't believe me, anyway. I guess I was just crazy.

           A boy with brown hair and very tanned skin stared at me with a straight face. He was sitting at where I usually sat. I quickly glanced away. I wasn't used to people looking at me, especially people I didn't know. Why did he?

           I glanced back. His brown eyes were still focused on me, staring through my face. He sneered as he quickly turned away. I did the same. That jerk, I thought, though I didn't even know his name.

           My thoughts were interrupted as Ms. Jones spoke.

"Okay class!" she exclaimed.

I exhaled.

"It looks like you're all here, so let's jump right into it!"

           I hated how overly positive she was. I had never hated a teacher before, let alone the teacher of my favourite class.

           I turned to my right and stared at the black clock, which read 8:35. The walls in the classroom were white, on it hanging grammar posters made by the grade eights from the year before. The shelves were filled with tidy books and school supplies. On the windowsill lay succulents and orchids.

           I looked back at the clock. I could hear it ticking away, drowning out the teacher's voice. The ticking made me feel dizzy. I could feel my head spinning as everything blurred. My body was struck with a jolt of pain. I gasped, though no one even looked at me, the world seeming like another dimension. My throat clogged up as I fell to the ground, my heart racing. Suddenly, my body coiled over itself, the feeling of dying overlapping my thoughts. Everything wisped past me. Once again, everything blurred into black, and I was unable to see my classroom.

           The pain stopped as I got up from the dark ground. Everything was black, though I was already used to it. Breathing out, I calmed myself down and let go of the stress I was facing at school and with Clarice, letting the darkness comfort me. It was cold, but it didn't feel like it. I turned around, finding the boy staring at me. His clothes were strangely clean.

           I was back.