Chapter One: The Awakening

Everyone grows up, whether they like it or not. Raven Cadwell was someone who didn't want to age. She wanted to stay young forever where the future didn't seem so close and stressful.

Raven was at home with her brother, Skylar and her aunt, and her mentor, Ms. Ethelde celebrating her 16th birthday. It was nothing grand and special, a simple get-together with some cake and presents. Everyone was conversing together yet the mood remained dull. Raven was never a fan of birthdays due to the fact that they reminded her of how messed up her life was. Growing up, she never knew who her mom or dad was. She and Sky were raised by their simple-minded aunt. She was not the worst, however being raised by such a bland person was not quite an ideal childhood. Still, she should be grateful that she had a place to reside in with someone to look after her and her little brother. Sometimes though, she wished she could rewrite her story

and decide her happily ever after. As Raven was cringing over past memories, Ms. Ethelde slowly approached her, a small blue box in hand looking quite nervous. She had seemed on the fritz all day. Raven wondered if anything was wrong but her suspicions quickly vanished when her long time mentor and friend approached her with a smile plastered on her slightly aged face.

"Happy birthday dear." Ms. Ethelde said. "My you've grown up so much since I first saw you."

"Thank you for guiding me this far," Raven replied with a thankful smile. "I would have never made it far if it wasn't for you."

She gave a slight nod in approval while handing the little present to Raven. "Good luck on the journey ahead." Raven received the present, curious to find what was inside. It was probably some sort of jewelry or charm due to how small the box was. Whatever it was, she was sure it would be meaningful in one way or the other. Ms Ethelde was just that type of person- the kind of person who spilt knowledge and wisdom through every word she uttered. Her mind began to wander as she zoned out, lost in thought. She pondered on what to do with her life after this. Although it seems like quite a while, she knew high school would flash by in a second. Becoming 16 was a huge deal according to social customs. It was considered a turning point of someone's life, but Raven didn't feel any difference at all. She was still lost in the endless maze wondering which path to take next.

"Psst, Raven," she heard a mumble, "Ms. Ethelde is getting ready to leave. Seems like she's bored to death if you ask me," he said in glee. Raven rolled her eyes in ignorance but gave a small smile of empathy. Her younger brother was not fond of being put in the same room as these older people; he found it quite mundane. She felt grateful enough that he bothered to stay with her and provide some company instead of waltzing off to go play outside.

"I'll be right there, make sure to wish her politely." Raven packed up a little parcel of sweets and rushed to the door to greet her out. The small family said their farewells to their only guest at Raven's little celebration. She couldn't fathom however the mirth in Ms. Ethelde's eyes, but did not want to ponder upon that for too long. After exchanging goodbyes, Raven rushed to open the little box. She marveled at what was inside. True to her suspicions, inside was a necklace- and a gorgeous one at that. It was a dark, vivid violet gemstone decorated with delicate feathers at the borders. Although it seemed dark, it shimmered in the most beautiful way that reminded her of watching the stars under a clear night sky. Her fingers trembled for no reason as she slipped it on. It seemed to have a whimsical touch to it which she could simply not place her finger on. She went over the pendant, embracing the coolness of the stone and feeling every detail. Skylar came up to her and complimented her on the necklace claiming that it suited her. She looked in the mirror with a smile- it did seem to compliment her features quite well. Her teacher was truly an expert at everything- including gift giving. With this thought on her mind, she slowly started to get ready for bed.