481-490

Chapter 481 - Another Look at the Forbidden

Pain. That was all Tang Wulin could comprehend at the moment, his flesh bubbling from a searing heat, blood vessels bulging from his skin. But it was insignificant compared to what he had endured in previous seal breakings. The radiant energy of the Golden Dragon King poured into his body, rushing quicker and quicker, to the point of bursting. Yet the pressure began to decrease, his body gobbling up the energy and repurposing it into his own strength.

A sense of liberation and excitement washed over him, the cells of his body singing, brimming with energy. They resonated with the crescendoing draconic roar within him..

The parts of his body hidden from his view took on a pattern of golden veins. They were mostly concentrated on his back, shining resplendently so.

Tang Wulin's aura of might rose to the sky, gusts kicking up around him. His blood essence raged through his meridian channels like a roaring river.

Golden scales manifested on his forehead. They gradually turned translucent, sparkling crystals that encrusted his skin. Scales spread across his right arm, shoulder, and the right-side of his torso. Then they spread further. Empowered by the energy of the Golden Dragon King, they encroached up his neck, claiming it as their domain. Then they turned their sights to the unscaled side of his torso and shoulder. They stopped short of covering his left arm.

The golden veins across his body flared brighter than ever, tracing deeper and wider into his skin. The cry of his blood essence. A golden soul ring emerged from his body, spinning around him. Then a second emerged. A faint trim of white at its edges, this new ring bled pure gold an instant later.

The cracking and popping of bones. Tang Wulin now stood a few centimeters taller.

Blood essence and soul power mixed within him, the soul power growing purer under the blood essence's influence, strengthening his body further. Unknown to Tang Wulin, his blood essence had always influenced his soul power, but at this particular moment it was to a higher degree. Rather than directly increasing his soul power, his blood essence continuously refined and compressed it.

The body was a vessel in which its volume and the strength of its meridian channels and itself were closely entwined. But there were limits to how large it could grow, even for a Titled Douluo. In order to maximize their strength, they compressed their soul power so that a denser, more potent form of the energy filled them. Usually, only Soul Kings and stronger compressed their soul power, since that was when the limits of the human body began revealing themselves. Tang Wulin, however, had long since started compressing and refining his soul power thanks to his blood essence. This was the true cause of his slow cultivation speed, and were it not for this, he wouldn't have been able to stand on the level as Yuanen Yehui.

The value of compressed soul power became more apparent with strength.

Wrapped in a blanket of warmth, Tang Wulin submerged into the depths of his mind, throwing himself fully into meditation. His soul power and blood essence resonated, a gentle thrum to the energies as his scales twinkled in the darkness of the room. Now was the time to consolidate the power he gained from the fourth seal into his own.

When the medicinal aroma finally faded from the air, Yuanen Yehui opened her eyes. A day had passed. The sun shone brightly in the morning sky.

She stood up and stretched her back. Astonishment colored her face. She felt like a new person. She had drawn out all the impurities in her body, a sticky layer of a mucus-like substance on her skin. It felt disgusting, but the fact that she had become stronger from this cleansing was a comforting thought..