1

[]

I quietly read a book as I was curled up on the couch. "Hak." "Yes, mom?" "Do you need a ride to work?" "Only if it's not out of your way." She sat down next to me, so I scooted over to give her room. "It's been a month since you left...Has he really not contacted you?" I frowned at her question. He had contacted me, but I had no interest in making up with him. He wouldn't accept his faults. "He hasn't." "Are you sure you still want to go through with it without him there...?" I sat up then sighed. "That's right. I've been wanting this for a few years now."

ㅎㅎㅎㅎㅎ

She dropped me off at the school and looked hesitant to leave. "What is it?" "I know it's your life and you're choices, but maybe you should talk to Hyunjoon..." I rolled my eyes then closed the car door. "Thanks for the suggestion." I gave her a smile before walking away. I wasn't keen on making up with him anytime soon. Even if we are a couple, there should still be boundaries. I always had to get on his case for not being able to do simple tasks like making dinner or sorting clothes for laundry.

He would always get defensive and thus an argument would start. And in the end, nothing would get done. I was tired of having to remind him of things. I was tired of having to act like a mother. "Haknyeon!" I squatted down then felt her give me a hug. "Hey there my little princess. How's your day going so far?" "Better now that you're here!" I couldn't help but smile as she told me all about her day so far. "Did you come alone today again?" "Mhmm."

I put her down then let her guide me to our usual spot. "Why? Does Mr. Heo not like us anymore?" "Kimun, Mr. Heo is just busy these days. I'll call him and see if he'll stop by today for you, okay?" She did her wiggly happy dance as I dreaded calling him on the inside. I held the phone to my ear as she and a few other kids played with my free hand. "Hello." "I'm going to make this quick. The kids miss you and I told them I'd call and see if you'd come. So, yes or no?" "Yes." I hung up. "He's coming. Are you guys happy?" They cheered, causing a small smile to form on my face. They were precious little things, these kids.

ㅎㅎㅎㅎㅎ

"Mr. Heo!" Kimun and her friends ran over to him as soon as he entered the room. I took the opportunity to busy myself somewhere else in the room. "Where have you been, Mr. Heo?" "Yeah, we missed you!" "Ah, work certainly kept me busy..." I could feel his gaze on me. "Will you and Haknyeon be coming together again?" "I don't know. That's entirely up to Haknyeon." His gaze was making me uncomfortable. I soon felt a child tugging on my shirt. "Will you?" I turned to face them then smiled innocently. "I don't think we can. His boss is making him work longer hours and they might move farther out of the city." His face fell as he moved in to hug me. "I'm sorry, these things happen..."

I noticed all of their moods had fallen at my lie. I felt bad as they wouldn't understand what was really going on. "Haknyeon, can we talk? Alone?" "Why not here?" "It's grown up talk. How would their parents feel if they heard their child repeating what we said?" I rubbed his back once more before letting go. "Fine. Kimun, keep an eye on everyone." She nodded as she led Tuwan back to his seat.

"What could you possibly have to say to me that won't piss me off?" "Come back home." "Why? It's not like I'm not keeping up my half of the bills." He reached for my hand and I quickly drew back. "I miss you." "'I miss you.' Shut up. You miss the things I did for you. You probably miss the fact that you aren't getting fucked like you used to." I looked behind me to ensure none of them were behind us. "I mean it. I miss you. It's so empty without you." "I'm not coming back until you can genuinely admit that you only care about yourself."

I turned on my heel then felt him hug me from behind. "Please, I'm begging you...I'm starting to cry at night..." "You can't guilt trip me. Let me go." He released me and I happily went back to the children. He was going to have to do better than that to get me to come back.