you hit me head-on (got me weak in my knees)

Waverly and Nicole meet in a bookstore. Waverly is clumsy. They're both gay disasters.  

•••

Waverly has always had a thing for bookstores. She just loves the atmosphere, the people she meets sometimes and of course the books. Waverly has been reading for as long as she can remember. Even when she couldn't read yet she would grab one of her older sister's books and just pretend.

Reading has always been her thing. It doesn't even matter what it's about. She would read anything as long as it's nicely written and she can feel the author's passion through their words. Given the fact that she can also fluently save herself in four languages it of course broadens her reading options.

You can find her in the library more often than not. If she doesn't have work at Shorty's, you'll find her there. Purgatory doesn't have a lot of bookstores, sadly, but their library is big and beautiful and also recently renovated. Waverly loves spending time there. There's also a piano you can play on and you can even just relax and listen to some vinyl's if you want to. It's probably one of her favorite places in town.

Her all-time favorite place is the little bookstore they do have, across from Shorty's. It's very lowkey and not big at all, so not a lot of people know about it, even though it's on main street. You could say it's a little hidden away. Waverly only discovered it a few months ago when she was mindlessly strolling around after a fight with Wynonna.

She'd only recently gotten back after going M.I.A. for three years, so things between them weren't as good as they used to be. Waverly could hold a grudge if she wanted to. But she's glad she found the bookstore. It's cosy and there's a small corner where you can sit and read. They even offer free tea and coffee between 11 AM and 4 PM. It's safe to say Waverly feels at home whenever she enters the bookstore.

The woman who owns it, Gus, has taken a great liking to Waverly. Which, in all honesty, surprises nobody, because Waverly truly is the apple of Purgatory's eye. She always has been and after Wynonna left she learned how to live with it. She kinda liked it, even. To not live in her sister's shadow for once.

Gus always gives her something to drink – no matter when she's coming into the shop – and lets her read as many books as she wants. Sometimes she even lets Waverly borrow them, if she promises to bring them back the same week and unharmed. Which she does, of course.

So naturally Waverly finds herself in the bookstore again today.

It's a random Tuesday afternoon and Waverly just got off her shift. Not wanting to go home, Waverly decided to spend some time in the bookstore first, maybe read a little, before heading home to have a good chat with her sister. She just has to find the courage to do so first.

Gus greets her with a warm smile and the question if she wants some tea. Waverly nods, smiles back at the older woman. Waverly's finger absentmindedly traces the books as she looks at them, deciding on what to read this time. She grabs a book about U.F.O's before going on with her journey. There's so many books she'd like to read, so many things she'd like to learn, but she'll never have the time. It makes her sad in a way. There's so many things she'll never know anything about.

Waverly stops in her tracks as her eyes catch on auburn, almost red, curls hidden underneath a black beanie. Said curls belong to, probably, the prettiest girl Waverly has ever seen. She wants to take another step forward, feeling glad that the other girl hasn't caught her staring, but her foot falters and her hands twitch and then her book tumbles to the floor. Waverly cringes as the redhead quickly meets her gaze. Crap.

There's a soft smile on the other girl's face as Waverly goes to pick up her book, almost hitting her head on a table to her left. God, she wishes she wasn't this clumsy around pretty girls. When she gets back to her feet and the girl is still looking at her, Waverly smiles awkwardly.