Part 1: Flashback

00000

A/N- Turn back now if you haven't finished Whistleblower, or it will spoil the ending...

00000

"You press that button, there's no going back, Mr. Park."

My trembling hand hovered over the 'Enter' key. I contemplated wether I should upload the footage, I was not too sure of what he would do to me, if he would even do anything. After that experience in Murkoff, I was always praying that I could live to see the light of day and let everyone know of their intention. However, now I feel that I will hurt more people rather than help them.

"There's enough hard evidence in that video file to make a world of shit for our friends at Murkoff."

Hard evidence was all I needed to bring this whole case to justice. Yet, I could still sense a bitter undertone in his voice. Perhaps it was rather a threat than a statement.

"You got out of Mount Massive alive, and we've sone everything in our power to cover your tracks, but our enemies are twitchy and malicious corporate paranoiacs with resources you're too moral to imagine."

This made my heart skip a beat. What resources?

"You won't be the only target. Anyone you care about, your wife, your child, they'll be nothing to Murkoff but ways to hurt you. I need you to understand the bridge you're crossing here."

Oh, I understand it very well. Your words intend a death threat, but Murkoff would never go that far. They couldn't be that bold and crazy. Perhaps they really are just bluffing, I don't have a wife anymore, we've divorced and moved on. What good would it be to Murkoff if she died? We never had a child together, and the rest of my family is dead. If that is their plan, then all of these threats are pointless. Still, they would place me as a target too, I wonder what they have in store for me..

"You will do irrevocable damage to the company, you might even get close to something like justice. But, once you click upload, your life is over. Everyone you love is fucked."

Justice, I couldn't wish for anything better. I could avenge all people who were hurt at Mount Massive.

"But it's the right thing to do. Is hurting Murkoff really mean much for you?"

00000

Waking up to a ton of paperwork scattered around your desk is a true nightmare to an investigative reporter. After I had escaped Mount Massive, I decided to live out my days and search for the truth hidden among walls of lies and cover-ups.

I glanced at my clock which read eleven o'clock. Apparently my boss just decided to drop off all my tasks for the month and head home. I usually stayed after everyone was allowed to go home. I never did have any reason to leave so early, the only thing that would greet me at my doorstep was a stray cat. I never did really get around to giving her a name...

I flicked on my lamp and flipped through the papers. There was always the usual conspiracy of foreign objects in everyday food, or the occasional 'cult living among us' theory. Sometimes I sit and wonder why our boss makes us look into these cases. What is the point, since all other reports as similar as these ended up to be a hoax or lie?

I had high-hopes of this job, but it has just turned into a dead end. I was hoping to actually dive into the juicy stories and uncover some real mysteries and gain valuable knowledge, but it appears that those cases are just works of fiction that can only be written by true masterminds. Although I had uncovered the secrets of Mount Massive, I remain anonymous to this day for fear of being questioned by the government.

I had been waiting for Murkoff to appear, to unleash Hell upon me, but so far it has been two years and they still haven't made a move. Perhaps its because of my ties with people? Being in such close quarters with investigative reporters and private detectives makes me nearly untouchable. Even killing off my ties will arouse suspicion and keep their guard up even higher.

Although I'm still wide awake and alert, I decide to head on home and end the day. I got up from my large mahogany desk and proceeded to walk out, grabbing my trench coat along the way. I took a right and walked down the desolate hall. This is the first time I noticed that the corridor seemed longer than usual, and the dim exit sign flickered, giving the workplace a dim and eerie atmosphere. The cubicles that lined up against the wall seemed smaller and further away. It was almost as if I was developing tunnel vision.

I managed to stumble to the door and barely managed to push it. I was getting weaker and feeling fuzzy inside. Shaking it off and trying to ignore it, I staggered over to my car and collapsed inside it. I wasn't sure of what was happening, I have never experienced this sensation before..

I came to the conclusion that I was just tired and a bit stressed out from the amount of work that I'll need to accomplish. And it didn't help that it was due in a few weeks.

I just wanted to go home and clear my clouded mind. I didn't want the paranoia to get to me.