Chapter Three

Just as Phineas snaps open the lid of the golden compass, he's interrupted by another knock at the door. He groans dramatically, swinging the door wide open once more, and the hinges creak in protest as a bitter draught makes shivers run down his spine. Turning to his vistor, with frustration present in his demeanour, Phineas adopts an expression of irritation to ward off his unwanted guest. His grumpy act quickly dissapates as he realises who's on the receiving end of his glower, but the damage has already been done.

"I can come back another time," Isabella offers, sounding disheartened.

Fortunately Phineas is quick to recover, putting on a winning smile. "You're always welcome!" He beams. "In fact, Ferb has just left, so I hope you don't mind it just being the two of us."

Isabella thought she was over her crush, but the butterflies in her stomach tell a different story. "R-really? Well, I just wanted to see if you and Ferb had finished the party cannon for the school disco," she stammers, caught off guard, exited to spend some time alone with her triangular savant.

The party cannon was their class' excuse to have one of the brothers' inventions to make things more interesting, and also happened to be the reason Phineas was obliged to go to the stupid disco in the first place. The teachers had said it would be a 'safety issue' if the machine's creators weren't there to supervise its operation.

Nonetheless, he smiles warmly. "Oh please, that thing was finished months ago," he brags, but suddenly he's struck with an epiphany; he didn't want Isabella to leave yet, so he quickly improvises a reason for her to stay. "Wanna check it out?" He asks, a little too enthusiastic.

"Absolutely!" - then she points forlornly to she compass in his hand - "If you're not busy," she adds reminding him of the device he was about to trial.

"Oh this? It can wait," he tells her shoving it into his trouser pocket, before leading her away into the heart of the Flynn-Fletcher household.

A/N: I hope you enjoyed that chapter and if you did, don't be a silent reader! Thanks to my beta midnightpansy!

Click here to follow me: koalala11