Chapter Five

Using the compass in front of Isabella would create more problems than it would solve, so he had sat her in the lounge and left to make her a mug of hot chocolate as per her request. As he stirs the beverage, the compass seems to weigh in his pocket and he finds himself procrastinating.

What if she isn't the one? What would he do then? Feeling himself spiral, he catches himself and focuses on his task. Putting the milk away in the fridge, he rests his forehead against the cool, metal exterior to steel his nerves.

Reaching inside his trouser pocket, he fumbles for the device – his hands clammy with nerves. Popping the lid, Phineas reads the dial. The needle wobbles as his hand shakes, but there is no mistaking it – it points to the sitting room; to Isabella!

"Yeah!" he exclaims to no one in particular.

Feeling like he's on cloud nine, he completely forgot about the source of his elation.

"Phineas?" Isabella calls. "What's going on in there?"

"Uhh . . ." he starts and thinking quick on his feet, he says, "I thought we were out of uh . . . marshmallows, but I just found a pack," he recovers.

"OK," she says, seemingly convinced. "Hey, what's taking so long? Need some help?" she offers.

"Everything's fine," he calls back. "Everything's absolutely perfect," he adds quietly to himself as he picks up the tray and returns to the sitting room, careful not to spill a drop.

–P&F–

"I'm still confused," Vanessa admits sheepishly. "Why did you make me wear this weird necklace?"

The pair are standing in line to buy snacks for the movie, but it moves forward at barely a shuffle and they're in danger of missing the trailers – Vanessa's favourite part.

She lifts up her hair and fumbles for the tiny silver-plated clasp. Passing the heavy metal pendant back to Ferb, she waits for an explanation – there was no way his taste in jewelry is that obismal.

"It's an electro-magnet," Ferb says as if that is explanation enough. "I gave Isabella one too."

"So you just give bling to every girl?" Vanessa accuses with mock offense.

"Actually–"

"No, I get it," she interrupts. "You needed the compass to point to me so that Phineas would believe it pointed to your soul mate." Vanessa doesn't even blush – she's that comfortable around him.

"The science was impossible," he confirmed.

"Ferbs, that is so sweet. You really are a man of action," she tells him lovingly as she places a kiss on his nose. "Are you gonna tell him?" she asks, intrigued.

Ferb nods, but doesn't share his motives – Vanessa already understands that it's all part of his master plan. This way, Phineas can be certain of how he feels. If he's happy with the result of the experiment, then the rouse would pay off. But if he's disappointed . . . Ferb refuses to think about that.

Telling his brother is the final stage of his plan. Once he knows the compass is a fake, he'll realise he has loved her all along.

A/N: I hope you enjoyed that chapter and if you did, don't be a silent reader! Thanks to my beta midnightpansy!

Click here to follow me: koalala11

PLEASE VOTE! Comments are very welcome especially if you have ideas for the story as I may take some of them on XD