Chapter 17 - The Valley

Disclaimer: The following chapter is the non-edited draft of what was written during NaNoWriMo 2018. My apologies in advance for plot holes and other inconsistencies.

~~~

Lincoln felt as if his heart stopped in his chest and he gasped for breath as he stumbled forward as quickly as his legs would carry him. He called out Marie's name repeatedly while he scrambled up the ridge towards the spot where Marie had stood just moments ago. He threw himself on the ground as he neared the spot and crawled up to the edge with his heart beating like a jackhammer in his chest.

As he peeked over the edge, he exhaled forcefully and smiled. Marie sat on a ledge about twenty feet below him.

"Are you all right?" he yelled.

Marie gave him a thumbs up. "I'm good. I'll have a few bruises, I'm sure, but nothing is broken."

"Ok, good," Lincoln said and surveyed the ledge Marie had landed on. It was maybe six feet by four feet wide. It was covered with rock debris and gravel, likely from the fall. It didn't look like it was likely to cause any further problems. Now, it was just a matter of getting her up. "Can you climb up?"

Marie shook her head. "I don't think that's a good idea. I've got a rope in my backpack though. I'll throw up one end of it."

Marie took her backpack off and unclipped the rope from the backpack. She held on to one end of the rope and threw the rolled up rope towards Lincoln. The first attempt failed, the rope just out of reach of Lincoln. It fell down just beyond the ledge Marie was standing on and if not for her holding on, it would have been lost down the side of the mountain.

As Marie hauled in the rope for another try, a piece of the ledge just next to her foot broke lose with a loud crack and tumbled down out of view. She stepped back against the rock wall and gasped, her eyes turning to Lincoln above her.

"That was close. Are you all right?"

Marie nodded. "I'm fine but I think this ledge is failing."

"Haul that rope in, let's get you out of there."

With renewed energy, Marie continued to haul in the rope and gathered it up in her one hand. Another piece of the ledge gave way as she leaned back to throw the rope up to Lincoln. This time, his fingers just barely caught it and he pulled the rope in.

"I've got it," he shouted down over the edge to Marie, just as the sound of another crack reached him.

"Hurry, Lincoln, it's falling apart." Marie's voice had become more desperate and pleading.

"Are you holding on?"

"I'm holding on. Pull, Lincoln, pull!" There was desperation in Marie's voice together with the sound of more rocks rolling down the slope.

Lincoln braced himself against an edge and began to pull the rope. He heard Marie grunt below him as she climbed up the steep incline. Moments later, she emerge over the edge, dirt and dust all over her face and clothes. Lincoln reached forward and took her hand, pulling her up the last few inches. She landed on her hands and knees, breathing heavily.

"Are you all right?" Lincoln said as he offered her a bottle of water from his backpack.

Marie took the bottle and drank the water greedily, letting it splash over her face and shirt. "I am now," she said with a smile. "That was close."

Lincoln smiled and impulsively gave her a tight hug. "I'm glad you're ok." Marie returned the embrace. The sat down on the ground a few moments later. "How about we take a few minutes before we keep going?" he suggested.