Chapter 1 × Rebirth

The knife slid cleanly through her throat, blood quickly gushing out of that fatal wound. He withdrew his knife and admired his kill. He loved when they didn't know he was coming. It's always messier when they do, and start struggling. It was pointless and only made it worse for them.

He walked away from the body after wiping the blood off that poor person's shirt. He was always careful to leave no trace, but that feeling of euphoria he would feel after each kill was starting to diminish.

He would often wonder if the lives he took were worth the effort he put into not getting caught. He sighed and went on his way, making sure he got far enough that he wasn't suspicious.

No one was ever suspicious. He was charming, and he carried the look of someone that you'd trust the moment you see him. He was good with the ladies, and that is how he got his victims. He could act heartbroken so well. No one thought otherwise.

He entered his apartment and immediately threw his knife forward, hitting the bullseye of a dartboard perfectly.

He bowed dramatically, but no one was there to applaud. He hung his coat up and headed to the bathroom to wash up. It had been a busy day, and he longed for the sweet grasp of his bed.

He could hear police sirens in the distance. It took them that long to discover the body, it was almost pitiful. He took a warm shower to rid himself of that day's filth before heading to bed for the day.

He stared up at the ceiling. He couldn't be feeling sympathy for the family of the lives he easily took. It made him irritated, and with that thought in mind, he allowed himself the sweet embrace of sleep.

•~•

Another day at the office finally done. The news of a serial killer running loose finally reached the public. It made people frightened, and security on the street doubled. It was now much harder for him to claim a life.

But he quite liked a challenge, and was already walking away from a body with it's head barely hanging on the body. He hid the knife in his coat and walked down the street, smiling at everyone who walked by. It was that easy to enthrall others.

However, that day felt different. He could smell.. smoke. He looked around, and saw that his apartment building was on fire. Growling, he ran towards the fiery inferno that was the building and stopped when it got too hot.

Anything that could have been salvaged were long gone. Amidst the roaring flames, he heard crying. He froze. Someone was still inside. An infant. Normally he would walk away, but something inside him snapped and he ran towards the burning building. He couldn't let that infant die. It still had a life ahead of it.

Ironic, because he was the one abruptly ending lives.

He ran in despite others shouting after him. He followed the cries of the baby, trying his best to avoid the flames that were biting at him. It was a wonder that the baby was still alive.

He eventually found the cradle which held the baby, but he needed to hurry to save it. He wrapped it in the ashy cloth and ran back the way he came in from. He could feel the building going to collapse, and it was getting much harder to breathe.

He was reaching the exit, but a log of burning wood fell and hit his foot, causing him to lose balance. He was so close. He pushed the baby as far as he could, with people looking in fear for his life. He knew that he wasn't going to make it, and he would trade his life for that baby.