christmas

hear me out! i love christmas and all, its the best holiday, in my opinion. but what if it isn't just santa who see's you when you're sleeping? what if it isn't just santa who knows when you're awake? it is said that when you're bad, you get nothing but coal on christmas, but what happens if you're really bad?
    my great aunt used to murmur the name "krampus", but that was all she would say. the men in the white suits took her away. mother said she has never heard her speak, unless she was saying that cursed name. i think of that name, when its cold and dark. i never bothered looking it up, thinking she was jut a foolish old woman. but christmas soon came along.
    i lay in my bed, scrunching my eyes, finding it difficult to contain the excitement i held. it was christmas eve, after all! i snuck out of my room, and i swore... i swore i saw someone in the corner of my eye, but brushed it off as nothing. i went to my twin brothers room, he was awake aswell. we whispered to each other, and i soon started to drift off. i heart loud footsteps, they woke me, just barely. i just barely opened my eyes, hoping it was santa.
    i contained the screams, begging to get out. that isn't santa. he passed by the barely open door. i sat up, looking for my brother. he wasn't to be seen. i heard a scream, it was muffled. now he trails down the hall. his hooves hit the wooden floors. his bag had muffled screams, so many. so many, so many. he breathes heavily as he stalks down the hall.. so tall.  i hide. i closed my eyes and woke up later in the morning. he was fine, but he never talked again. the only words he knew to say were "krampus".
   he could be the noise you hear down the hall, or the shadow you swore moved, because he is always watching. he is always here. he sees you when you're sleeping. he knows when you're awake. he knows when you've been bad. he is here. we are here.

💫