Chapter 6; And they Call this Tragedy

I couldn't sleep anymore. I kept dreaming of her lips on his. The worst part was that he'd smiled. He'd never given me that exact smile until last night. The heat from the rays of sunlight on my bare back woke me. I didn't open my eyes; I knew exactly where I was. I was in Blaze's messy room with our clothes still spread across the floor. I woke up to a dimly lit room, the windows bursting at the seem with light. To roll over and see him beside me  shouldn't have came as a surprise, but it did. I smiled to myself. The last remnants of my dream being chased away made my mind fuzzy. He lay on his back, eyes closed, fingers tapping his chest. I would have grabbed his hand, but he looked so beautiful and still, that I didn't want to disturb him. He must have known I was awake because he just smiled. He didn't speak, just grinned. Of course I would have been happy to lie there forever, but I had made up my mind and I had different plans. He rolled over to his side to face me, caressing my cheek with his thumb. I expected him to be mad. After all, in a way, he had just cheated on his girlfriend. On the surface he looked beyond pleased with himself. I was, too. Or at least I was until I forced myself to get out of bed, reminding myself today was the day I would be breaking up with Hunter. The springs squeaked as I got to my feet, flinging open the curtains. A river of sunlight poured in. Blaze handed me a t-shirt, one of his very own. Slipping it on, his sweet scent once again flooded my nostrils. At the foot of the bed, he sat in nothing but his plaid boxers, sunlight sparkling on his chest. I crawled over to him, delicately kissing his cheek,

     "You're gorgeous." he whispered. 

      I smiled. For the time being I didn't have time to argue, so for just this once I let him win.

     "Hunter's expecting me at the coffee shop in about an hour." I said.

     He understood at once. As I closed the bathroom door behind me, his face fell. I started the shower, frowning at myself in the mirror. I looked lost, messy hair and all. I looked wrong. I felt wrong. This whole situation was wrong. I'd let Blaze and I's desires collide. I'd always been against cheating, but here I was, letting Blaze do it. With me, no less. I was a hypocrite. My brain needed to clear and relax. I touched my hand to the falling water, and with that, I climbed into the shower. The water was warm on my skin. The hot droplets formed steam as I stood unmoving, feeling the first drops on my face, like fire. For a while, I just stood, but then proceeded to wash my hair with citrus shampoo. The scent was sweet. I was startled at a hand on my shoulder. Blaze; it was always Blaze. I should have known. My fingers lightly traced his jawline.

     "Blaze, I'm scared." I whispered, loud enough to echoe over the roaring waterfall.

      "Of what?"

      "Breaking up with Hunter. I can't do it." It was true. Although we'd had so many terrible times, my mind wandered back to the few wonderful times we'd had. It was enough to keep me holding on to absolutely nothing. He hugged me closer.

       "I'll go with you."

      We walked down the back allies towards the coffee shop. Taking back allies everywhere was something we enjoyed for no particular reason. My heart was beating a million beats per second. I could almost guarantee it would have been twice as bad if Blaze hadn't been there. The Coffee Bean was a small shop, where you could sit and hangout with your friends. The familiar smell of a triple triple was wafting in the air from the open back door. 

     I could see Hunter, patiently waiting where we'd agreed, tapping his foot in annoyance. I was late. I wasn't ready. Ducking beside a parked blue mini van, I breathed heavily. Closing my eyes, I began to stand, regaining my courage, when Blaze pulled my back down. He pointed silently as I glared at him. I followed the direction of his index finger to Hunter, who was now talking to Lexi. I instantly felt like I was suffocating. As he spoke, she playfully bit her lip, tugging on her hair. He took her hands in his. If only I knew what they were saying. She pulled friskily at his shirt, trying to balance on her pink stilettos. His hand was at the small of her back. She pulled him closer by the collar of his shirt. Their eyes locked almost as quick as their lips. I couldn't bare to watch anymore, but I couldn't bring myself to look away. They kissed like Blaze and I had, propping her up against him. Hunter had always been so innocent, so reserved, so honest seeming, and here I'd met the best liar in all history. If not my own suspicions, I would never have known. I was falling apart for the thousandth time. Blaze squeezed my hand. A hurricane of emotions was rising inside of me. I strut over to them, and tore Lexi from Hunter. He looked at me, stunned.