Day 2

On the second day of Christmas my true love sent to me

Two motel beds

And an old friend in university

"Wake up, Sleeping Ugly. Your ferret's about to freeze to death."

Eric's words ended the beautiful dream that Cassie was having (Burt Reynolds oiling up his chest), but the view when she opened her eyes was just as magical – inches of snow all around, and still more was coming.

"It's so Christmas-y," she said in awe.

"I know you've been in Texas a while, but don't pretend you've never seen snow before."

"Come on, you know it's never snowed like this back home."

Beano was busy making a blanket out of sawdust to ward off the frigid cold.

"Aw, my poor, sweet baby," Cassie cooed at the hamster. "Let's get you inside. Hey, Eric, where's my luggage?"

"It's just out here. I was about to carry it to the suite."

"You got us a suite?" Cassie said, beaming.

"Yeah, the Willow Suite, it's called."

"You're the best, Eric!" Cassie was slow to climb out of the car, not wanting to slip and drop Beano's cage. "How far is it?"

"It's just here."

"Behind the shacks?"

"No, our one is this one."

"The one by the dumpster?"

"Yeah."

"OK, I think I'm sleeping in the car."

"Oh, come on, it ain't that bad," Eric tried to reassure. "Come and see." He held a hand out.

Against her better instincts, Cassie went along to the front door which at one point must have said Willow Suite, but after losing a few letters, had only .ill.. Su..e. "And that's exactly what I'm going to do when I contract ringworm from the mattress."

"What?" Eric was trying to get the key into the iced-over keyhole.

"The letters on the door." Cassie's hands were full, so she gestured with her head.

"You're going to become ill and change your name to Sue?"

"No, dummy. It spells out 'I'll sue,' as in I'll sue them for – forget it. How's it coming along with the lock?"

"There's a layer of ice over where I'm supposed to put the goddamn key in."

"Eric, I'm cold."

"Are you? Are you cold?" Eric mocked. "I'm practically boiling. Why, what other temperature could I possibly be feeling in this weather?"

"Jesus, don't throw your toys out of the cot."

"God-fucking-damn this fucking –" With the last word, Eric punched the door, and it opened before them.

"You know, partner, at first I didn't have faith in your choice of room, but now that I see we have a door that neither locks nor even closes properly, I'm sold."

An aroma of cigarettes, mold, and unmentionable bodily fluids wafted toward them.

"So much for the No Smoking sign." Eric flicked at the faded placard on the wall.