Chapter Seven - Truth

Max's Point of View

   I sighed as David smiled and left the room. A few seconds later, he returned with some water. He gave it to me.

   ". . . thanks."

   David nodded. "Its late. You should try getting back to sleep."

   I just nodded and layed back down.

   "Are you sure you don't want a bed?" David asked me. "I've got a spare room."

   "Its okay." I replied. "I'm okay here."

   "Okay." He said. "I'm heading off to bed. If you need me, just come get me."

   I nodded and David headed off to his room.

   I dreaded sleep. I hated it. I always have a nightmare and I can't handle them. Of what my parents do to me.

   I have to deal with them in real life and my dreams!? That's just fucked.

   I sat up and pulled the blanket off me, went to my bag, and got Mr. Honeynuts. I smiled, feeling a bit better.

   I headed back to the couch and layed down, pulling the blanket over me again, and took a bit to fall asleep.

** Nightmare **

   "Max." My dad said. I looked at him in fear. Mom stood next to him, with a blank expression, but her eyes full of hatred.

   I noticed I was no where. I was just in a black void with my parents, and I couldn't move.

   "Maxwell." Mom said. "Why are you such a burden? A failure."

   "Why are you, you?" Dad asked. "You're a mistake."

   They walked closer to me, as I could do nothing but watch and wait.

   They reached me and my dad held me down as my mother hovered over me with a knife.

   She lowered it and dug it into my shoulder as I screamed in pain.

   She just laughed as my dad took the knife and dug it into my stomach, then dragging it up to my chest.

** Nightmare over **

   I jolted up breathing heavily. I took noticed of my surroundings, noticing I was still in David's home. I sighed in relief.

   I thought back at my dream and groaned. I remember that day. It was the first time they ever brought a knife on me.

   I was lucky to survive. Dad didn't put the knife in that deep, and had just missed my heart when he dragged it up.

   I held back tears. I'm not going to cry again.

   I looked at the clock and saw it was 4:00am. I'm not going back to sleep.

   I couldn't take it anymore, I needed to tell. I got up and headed to David's room. I slightly opened the door, to see him asleep. I felt bad for waking him up, but I needed to talk. I don't want to lie to him and have him send me home.

   "David?" I whispered while tapping him.

   "Hmm?" He groaned.

   "I-it's me." I said, in a quiet voice.

   "Max?" David asked. He sat up and turned on the bedside lamp. "What's wrong?"

   "I had another nightmare . . ." I mumbled, thinking about it.