Chapter 16

The weather was frigid and misty. I could feel the effect of the weather in my bones. I could hardly sleep... or should I say, I didn't sleep. I knew when the Muadhin had climbed the mimbar to call for prayer. I knew when the sun rose and the cock's crow resounded at every corners of my room. I knew when my mom was praying for the welfare of herself and me...praying for the blessing of our union...I mean Najib and I! Was there still love? What do I tell her?

I didn't have a ray of hope for what was to come in the next couple of hours. I decided to face the truth and accept whatever comes out of the meeting...but it was hard...hard not to think of Najib's bright eyes and beautiful smile. It was hard to accept that things may not be the way they used to be.

I wore a simple black gown and gray-coloured hijab. I didn't have the time to impress Najib. All I wanted was the truth and nothing more.

I could barely take three spoonfuls of the jollof rice I made for breakfast. I kept wondering what would become of our relationship after the meeting.

When I was very convinced that I wouldn't be able to eat the food, I took the rest to the kitchen and placed a lid over the plate of rice. My mom had praised me that the jollof rice tasted like wedding rice she ate last week Saturday in Mama Ibukun's daughter's wedding. They had hired a well-experienced caterer at an exorbitant price. Only if she knew that I had burnt part of the rice because I was lost in thought, and to me, the rice tasted like it had no salt in it.

I sipped water and reached for my bag. As I headed to the street, I flagged an okada to take me to the school area. (I would have normally walk down but my anxiety wouldn't give me the chance to walk for long).

When I got down, I could feel the throbbing in my chest as I scampered along the path that led to Tantalizers. On getting to Tantalizers, I heaved a deep sigh of relief and remained in the same position for close to a minute before attempting to enter the building.

I would see Najib's radiant face again; the same face that I had longed to touch. The same eyes I'd longed to stare at. The same luscious I had wished to feel.

I entered the building with my arms around my chest. One would think that I was shivering in cold...but I was literally burning. As I walked into the room, searching for him, I surprisingly saw Najib at our usual spot. He was sipping from a paper cup and re-adjusting himself on the chair.

I strode towards him with wobbly legs, knowing that he was as nervous as I was. He arrived earlier here earlier than I did, which was unusual of Najib.

He couldn't sit still to one position and there were beads of sweat around his forehead, despite the fully air-conditioned room.

"Asalamu 'alaykum Fareedah." He smiled weakly at me.

Seeing his lips twitch into a smile almost made me melt. He was putting on a blue-striped shirt and a pair of denim trousers. His usual gleaming eyes looked dark and unhappy. I had missed him...missed him so much. I couldn't imagine how much I had missed Najib until I saw him again. He was my first love...the one that had captured my heart completely.