Chapter 5

"What are you putting on???" Mom glared at me with scrutinizing eyes.

It was then I remembered that my dressing was different...totally different from what I would wear on a normal day. The day Alia, my distant cousin, presented the gown to me as a gift, I had forced a smile and lied that I really love the dress...that I'd put it on every week because of how beautiful it is. When she left, I had complained to my mother that it is too tight and attractive.

"I'll just leave it in the wardrobe. I can't wear this out." I had muttered to my mother immediately Alia stepped out of the house.

The bosom-length hijab I was putting on was one I used to wear while still in the secondary. The brown lipstick that shone on my lips was also shocking; the last time I used make-up was in 100level.

"Err...I just want to look different." I tossed my phone nervously in my right hand.

"Look different? Why do you suddenly want to look different?" Mom eyed me suspiciously.

Why can't she just stop all these questioning and walk to the car? I am getting late.

"It is 7:45 am, mom. I'll be late for my lectures. Mrs. Lanre might even decide to give an impromptu test. We haven't written any of her tests since the beginning of the semester," I stated convincingly.

My mom, as if realizing how much time we had wasted re-adjusted her black veil and grabbed her car keys from the dining table. "Let's get going. I'll drop you off at the end of the street."

She was already walking to the stairs but I stood, leering at her. Mom was putting on a lace gown with puffy hands and a long A-style skirt. "I told you I am late. Ain't you going to drop me off at school?"

"I have an appointment with Mama Abigail. I'm also late." She gave me the strict look that kept me quiet in an instant.

"Okay." I followed her downstairs and within a minute, we were already in the car; mom driving and me staring out of the window.

I could notice the unusual stares from men...men staring at me as they were walking on the road...driver winking at me as they were driving beside my mother.

Was that how it felt to look good? The stares and admiration...the compliments and smiles...

Why hadn't I looked this way when Najib first saw me? He would have been head over heels with me. I couldn't wait for Najib to see me this way...he wouldn't be able to keep his eyes off me.

I chuckled with pleasure as I imagined his widened eyes fighting hard to not gaze at me.

"What's funny?" my mom is turning sideways to where I sat.

"Just something I remembered." I took a book from my bag and opened. I really hoped that mom didn't notice the way men were staring at me this morning.