citings and q&a

INTRO

Hey guys, I hope you're all enjoying yesterday's release of chapter 5 and heavily awaiting chapter 6, which is coming in just a few hours, but first, I'd like to make a few 'citings'.

As you all know (If you've read, and remembered all the events in the last few chapters), a copy of the 'Etiquette booklet' was handed out to each of the remaining selected. Though the idea was totally fictional, I was grasped by the idea to put real excerpts of what a real Etiquette booklet would really say. So, I will be taking figments of Florence Hartley's "The Ladies' Book of Etiquette" to really capture the essence. 

Note: I'm not actually going to put actual rules of etiquette, but rather the importance of etiquette on a soul and the means of achieving this. You'll see.

Also, this is a FANFICTION, which means it is adapted from an actual book, like an alternate ending.

Q/A

major spoilers on the original story, be warned.

I'M KINDA CONFUSED, HOW MANY LOVE INTERESTS ARE THERE ACTUALLY. SO THERE'S LUCAS AND WILL, THEN NIKLAS?

Lucas and Will are both love interests, yes. But Niklas' relationship with Holly is quite friendly. The two get along and can share a few laughs without anything going on in between them.

IS WILL SUPPOSED TO REPRESENT ASPEN IN THE ORIGINAL BOOK?

In a strange plot twist, no. Will serves as a distraction to Holly and is an antagonist. Lucas is quite aware of Will's infatuation with Holly early on and spars with his brother for her heart.

WHAT'S WITH THE VIOLIN?

Kiera Cass, in her book, really stressed the lives of the Fives (and lower) in her story which generally focused on America fighting for a better future for those with fewer opportunities (she tells people to fight, campaigns for the abolitions of the castes, and tells Maxon that there is hardly any food for them to eat), and I wanted to carry on the message.

Fives are forced to work. Their equipment may be torn, and tattered, but it's the little things that help them survive. It helps them push the terrifying images out.

HOLLY'S FRIENDSHIP WITH QUEEN AMERICA?

This is a representation of America with her maids.

Holly's maids are kind of irrelevant, as was Q. Amberly in America's time, and I felt like switching it up. America's maids are the ones who tell her to wear red to stand out, the maid's gossip, the girl who was eliminated for talking smack about her, and et cetera. So that's that.

WHY DO I FEEL LIKE WILL, MAXON, and HOLLY'S FAMILY KIND OF DISAPPEARED.

They are all relatively irrelevant.

- Maxon isn't as psychotic as K. Clarkson, so in terms of crazy accusations, rules, and explosions, there aren't any.

- Holly's family isn't actually present in real life, but they are in her heart. She speaks of being homesick and eventually does write them a letter (when she picks up the pen in the last chapter)

- Working on Will, we just gotta have that Lucas connection first, though from what I'm hearing, Lucas and Holly is a more popular ship, so we're not totally abolishing that charm yet :).

WHERE ARE THE REBELS

Coming right up! 

CITINGS

(1) Florence Hartley, "The Ladies' Book of Etiquette"

Present in Chapter 6 onwards (the italics portion)

The Project Gutenberg EBook of The Ladies' Book of Etiquette, and Manual of Politeness, by Florence HartleyThis eBook, is for the use of anyone anywhere at no cost and with almost no restrictions whatsoever. You may copy it, give it away or use it under the terms of the Project Gutenberg License included with this eBook or online at www.gutenberg.net

Title: The Ladies' Book of Etiquette, and Manual of Politeness A Complete Hand Book for the Use of the Lady in Polite Society

Author: Florence HartleyRelease Date: January 30, 2011 [EBook #35123]

Language: EnglishCharacter set encoding: ISO-8859-1*** START OF THIS PROJECT GUTENBERG EBOOK LADIES' BOOK OF ETIQUETTE

***Produced by Julia Miller, S.D., and the Online DistributedProofreading Team at http://www.pgdp.net (This file was produced from images generously made available by the Internet Archive/Canadian Libraries)

(2) Kiera Cass, "The (Entire) Selection Series"  

Cass, K. (2013). The Elite. New York: HarperTeen.

-- soph x