Chapter 4: California Calling

I hope you all have been enjoying Mick and Val's story!! I can't wait for you all to read the rest and book 4 which I am in the process of writing !!! Don't forget to vote and comment and let me know what you all think of this chapter. 

xoxoxoxox 

Mary

SONG FOR THIS CHAPTER: Tony Lucca, "Devil Town"& Hotel California By: The Eagles 

~Val~     

June 19th, 1989  

The sun was creeping through the curtains of my bedroom window, but I was still half-asleep. It was probably only just past seven a.m but I could hear my parents angry voices trailing up to the second floor. I wasn't coherent enough to understand what they were fighting about, but when I heard the sound of two sets of feet stomping up the stairs, I knew it had to be about me. 

My bedroom door shot open a few seconds later, with both my parents standing behind it. 

I was fully awake now. 

I lifted my head off of my pillow and locked eyes with my father. Though they were a usual hazel, his eyes were now black with rage. I looked over to my mother—who's expression was nothing short of pure horror. 

"What's going on?" I asked, sheepishly. 

I pushed myself up on my elbows, but I had wished I could have buried myself under the safety of my duvet. 

My father's nose flared in anger. "What's going on?" he questioned back to me. "As if you don't know what this is about!" he raged. 

I swallowed. "I honestly don't," I managed. 

I could tell by his tone that this would be ending badly for me. I didn't know what I had been caught doing, but something had clearly made its way back to him and I was about to be severely punished for it. I wasn't about to admit to everything I did that could possibly get me in trouble right now, so my best bet was to play stupid. 

"Don't you dare sit there and lie to our faces, Valerie," my mother cut in. 

I racked my brain, trying to discern the number of things they could be this upset over. I hadn't gone out in days and I hadn't fought with them on anything major lately. I hadn't even smoked since last week now that I was trying to quit. It had been so hard to decline Mick's offer when he'd shown up at the school on Thursday afternoon, but I had.

I was drawing a blank on what I should be preparing to talk my way out of when it dawned on me. 

Mick.

I had snuck Mick into my house only three days ago and we had nearly gotten caught too. My parent's hadn't seen him as far as I knew, otherwise they would have punished me that night. Mick was still in my bedroom when they had gotten home, but I forced him to sneak out my window before anyone had seen anything. 

The rest of the weekend had been normal, and my grandparent's had left late last night without any kind of situation. 

What had changed since then? 

 "I don't—" I began, but my father had other ideas in mind. 

My words were cut short when my father took a step forward and give my cheek a brash slap. 

"Don't fucking lie, you little slut!" he raged. 

This had to be about Mick. I was so stupid to think that no one would see us together. Tooele was a small town, and Mick didn't exactly go by unnoticed. Someone could have seen us together any number of times and reported it back to my parents