Chapter 8

Lisa loved television. she didn't know why she had allowed prejudice to prevent her from at least trying it before now. TV was a marvelous invention. It was like a mini-stage with little players. And what players! In the last three hours she had watched a movie by some guy named Monty Python or had that been the character?

Anyway, they'd watched that first. When it ended, Taehyung had looked through a television guide and cried, "Yeah! A Black Adder marathon!" And they'd been watching that ever since. It was a grand show! Marvelous and amusing. Lisa hadn't laughed so hard in years.

"They have history all mixed up, but it is quite amusing," she announced, reaching for a fresh beer from the six-pack on the coffee table.

Taehyung burst out laughing, then stopped abruptly, her eyes going wide. "Oh, shoot! Jennie's going to kill me!"

Lisa arched her eyebrows. "Why?"

"Because I was supposed to make you watch modern Korean television, to help with your speech." she pondered for a minute before shrugging. "What the hell. It's kind of late in the game to change your speech, anyway."

Lisa nodded absently. The mention of Jennie made her remember her accusations of earlier. She had said she spoke in old-fashioned ways. Lisa supposed she did; it was hard to change speech patterns. she'd been born in 1390. Her parents had moved around a lot in those days, but that was where she'd been conceived and born. Despite all the countries she had lived in since, and all the languages she had learned and spoken, she still did and probably always would bear a slight accent and lean toward speaking the way she'd been taught.

What else had she said? She recalled something about barbie. That she looked like an barbie wannabe? What did that mean exactly? Her voice had been too snarly for it to be a compliment. Her gaze shifted from the TV screen to Taehyung. "Who, or what, is an Barbie wannabe?"

Taehyung turned a blank expression on her. "Huh?"

"Jennie said I looked like an barbie wannabe," Lisa reminded her. Understanding immediately lit the young editor's face. "Oh, yeah. Well, you know. Barbie. Buffy and Barbie? Vampire slayer and vamp? Oh, that's right. You don't watch TV, so you wouldn't know," he said finally. "Well, Barbie is this vampire, see. And she is, or was, Buffy the Vampire Slayer's girlfriend. But she has her own show now."

"Vampire slayer?" Lisa asked with dismay. Did they still have those? Dear God, she had thought that craze had died out a century or so ago. Life had been pretty tense for a bit. she and her family had had to be terribly cautious or more so than usual. They had always had to be cautious. Their natural proclivities had made them a target many times over the centuries. Many had been burned at stakes as witches during the Inquisition, and when Stoker had come out with her damned book, vampire slayers had popped up everywhere. It had been a damned nuisance. And scary, too. Her family had only really begun to relax since the advent of blood banks, which had lessened both vampires hunting and being hunted. Now it seemed to be a false security. There were still slayers out there.

Well, there was nothing she could do about it at the moment, though she meant to warn her family. She would mention it to Jeongyeon when her sister called back.

Lisa leaned over and saw that there were still two slices of the meat-eater's special they'd ordered. she took one, then handed the box to Taehyung.

Besides television, pizza was something else she'd never tried. It wasn't something served in the gourmet restaurants she frequented. Lisa was beginning to think that her snobby ways had been making her miss out on many pleasures she might truly enjoy. she had never been a great fan of beer, but it had a nice bite to it with pizza. It went even better with the peanuts Taehyung had run out to buy. It had been kind of fun, too, cracking the peanut shells and strewing them all over the place.