You're So Uptight!!

“Belle! Would you just wait a second please?!” I hear Lea calling after me. It’s Monday in the hallway right before first period. I’ve been ignoring her successfully all weekend. I’m still pissed about her ditching me at the party. Instead of answering her I walk faster but I guess it’s not fast enough because she grabs my arm and stops me

“What?” I ask harshly. She lets out a breath.

“You’ve been ignoring me all weekend since the party, what gives?”

“Oh I don’t know. It could have something to do with the fact that you ditched me. Just a guess.”  I say while shrugging sarcastically.

“I’m sorry OK?!”

“I called you and texted you numerous times. Where’d you go?”

This question makes her squirm and she stands there looking uneasy.

“A friend called me over and I guess I got lost in the crowd, I’m sorry.” I can tell she’s lying.

“Got so lost you couldn’t bother to find me?”

“No that wasn’t it I-“

“Did you even notice I was gone?” I ask her. She looks ashamed. The warning bell to head to class rings. I shake my head and turn around to walk away but then turn back and say,

“Thank you though.” And she looks at me questioningly.

“For proving me correct. I hate those parties, they are terrible.” Then I swiftly turn and stalk off to class. After that conversation though I’m steaming with anger so it looks like focusing in class today is out of the question. Mr. Matthews calls on me to answer and all I can do is look at him dumfounded and say

“Huh?” I don’t know where we are in the book and I’m not sure why I’m letting this get to me so much but it is. The bell dismissing class rings and I’m even more upset now because I’m looking at my blank notebook page realizing I missed all the notes today. So slowly I pack up my stuff and start to leave class but Mr. Matthews stops me.

“Belle, could you stay back a minute?” He says as he’s sitting at his desk. He waits until the last student leaves and then talks.

“Is everything ok? You were pretty distracted today.”

“I’m fine, just a little fight with my friend got me frazzled today.”

“Well don’t let it get the best of you, I’d hate to see such a good student start failing.”

I scoff at this comment.

“It’s one day, I’ll be fine.” I say with a tiny smile and as politely as possible.

“Well still, always remember I’m here if you need me.” He says standing and putting his hand on my arm. I nod and pull away.

“Well, I’ve gotta go.” I say as I walk toward the door. As soon as I get in the hallway, I see Lea standing there with a passion tea lemonade from Starbucks.

“Lea thanks for the thought but this isn’t something you make better with a drink. How’d you get that anyway?” I ask as I start walking to my locker.

“I skipped first and got it for you. That’s how sorry I am.”

I open up my locker and turn to her and she places the drink inside.

“Thank you for the thought, but you’re not getting it. I trusted you to take me to that party and show me a good time and you ditched me, I didn’t know anyone, I didn’t know where I was, not to mention that you gave me alcohol after I specifically asked you not to.” She looks surprised at this last statement.