Ayane

Davin has taken the throne... No father couldn't be dead. I was only gone two nights. How?

Tears burned at the back of my eyes but I refused to let them fall. I was looking for Leona and I found her still inside the tent. Gnash greeted me affectionately and I reluctantly returned it.

"Leona, our brother Davin has taken the throne." I told her as I entered.

"So Davin has returned from the war front and now is king? That's good for him." Leona reacted indifferently.

"You do realize that means that our father could be dead?" I demanded.

Leona paused in her dressing and looked at me.

"So what does that mean? We can't go back to the kingdom?"

She was missing the whole point. Our father was probably dead and she didn't give damn? Rage boiled in me. That hurt so damn much. Father was dead and all his daughter could think about was herself.

"No we leave immediately for Razor. Hurry up if you want to eat before you go." I turned on my heel exiting rage crawling just under my skin.

Gnash whined at me and I turned to him caressing his head, calming myself.

We walked together, a hand in his fur and someone stood in our way. It was the second in command.

"Death Weaver" he acknowledged.

I nodded my head at him and waited for him to move. Only he didn't and he looked like he had more to say. I waited for him to start speaking but the look in his eyes told me that he wanted me to acknowledge him as well.

"If you don't mind moving I would like to retrieve my belongings."

I had left my sword and bow in Koran's tent.

"I am here to warn you. Should you attempt to kill my King I will cut you in half." his hand moved to the hilt of his sword.

That only heightened my anger even more. I felt my shift coming on, my teeth elongating into fangs as well as my claws appearing. I reigned it in and I heard the guttural tone of my voice as I spoke.

"Have you ever killed a dragon in human form soldier?"

I saw his pinkie finger twitch in anticipation of fighting with me.

"Cause I have and if I can take a full dragon what are your chances with just your sword?" I walked up to him and rested a hand in his shoulder.
"I'm not your enemy anymore and I'm not going to fight you so you can loosen your hold on your sword"

I glanced down and saw how hard he gripped his hilt, knuckles ghostlike I heard his heart pound. I walked by without saying anything else heading to the forest. I needed to calm down or I might explode without warning. The deep fear that my father was indeed dead gnawed at me. I sat against a tree leaning into it, shutting out all the sounds around me. I felt the life beneath my feet, at my back, through my fingertips.

"Ayane have you been a good girl?" Father stood by the wall observing me from a distance.

"Father!" I had run over slinging the bow across my back. I latched onto his hand and dragged him closer. "Look I hit the target in the middle more times than Soren."

Father looked at the target I was pointing and smiled brightly. "Good job Ayane, you have learned well. And you are only five." He patted me on the head and I smiled back.

After that he had challenged me to a competition with Soren and we all were smiling. I had came in second to him and Soren was one arrow behind me.