Chapter Nine

“She’s gonna be ok, she’s gonna be alright, just wait a while….” Sarah hummed to herself, then she had a look around  the room.

“Do you have any idea what’s going on?” She suddenly asked me.

The question wasn’t posed at my body, but at me. She turned towards me, the actual me. I must’ve looked completely confused, because she sighed and sat down heavily on the chair.

“You are one of the only people to have survived the change. Or at least half survived it.” She said, looking into my eyes.

“What change?” I took a step closer to her.

“Well, as you know we’re all adopted or have no parents. There’s a reason for that. Our real parents are all in a different place, a place not yet open for us because the gateway was locked a long time ago. Our parents only just managed to get us out there safely, but none of them could come with us. When we turned 16 all of us started to change. Not just from our appearance but also physically. It was Mike’s turn first, him being the oldest, then mine.

He and I just about changed at the same time, one night. We listened to some song that was about change together and we both saw our real parents. They told us everything and they also made us stop the music before it ended. They said that listening to the song was a trick of the dark side, the ones that locked them up. The song made you different and most parents didn’t mind, it wasn’t that bad, you just…you kinda turned evil. Most of our parents have turned evil too. But don’t be angry, they just gave up, you know? They thought it would be easier that way.”

Her eyes glazed over while she talked, she was probably thinking about that night.

“Mike and I haven’t finished the song since. Neither have Amy, Duncan, Josh, John and a few others. You’ll probably notice it yourself. But we don’t show it, at least not all of us. I don’t, that’s why Mike hates me, he thinks that I’ve changed to the other side.”

Her eyes were now filled with tears. She tried to blink them away but a few still ran down her cheeks.

“That’s only a few of the reasons we split up though. “  She shook her head, as if to clear her thoughts.

“Anyways. There are other ways to do the change, ones that don’t actually change you, in that way. You’re still not evil afterwards, get it?”

She stared at me again then. “You’re the only one so far that has nearly gone to the end and survived. So now, they want to find out how, especially since you’re not even one of us apparently. Demi and Margo said you’ve never shown any signs or symptoms of changing. They want to do experiments on you, you’re probably gonna die then. So I’ve decided to help you.”

With that she got up and started to uncover me.