Chapter Two

Chapter Two

Kate's POV:

I screamed as Robin dropped down from the balcony, the cold air whistling past my ears. I closed my eyes, so I missed how we somehow ended up on a silver and black motorcycle. He got on, and lifted me off of his shoulder. I pulled my robe tighter around me.

"You know, you could have let me get dressed first," I complained.

"Sorry. The Shadow could've attacked you at any time. He was planning to in the next 24-hours.

"Well, thanks for saving me."

"Sure. Now hop on."

"Excuse me?"

"The motorcycle. You have to get on."

"Where?" I asked. "There's no seat in the back."

"Here," he replied and pulled me down on to his lap.

"Hey!"

"It's the only place for you to sit." His arms move past me and started the vehicle. My feet were both facing one direction, so I wrapped my arms around his neck to avoid falling off.

We took off like a shot, racing through the dark streets of Gotham. Every turn that we made, the seat would turn with us, so we didn't feel them as much. It was an easy ride, but at a terrifying speed. I closed my eyes to keep them from drying out and hoped that the ride would be over soon.

Thankfully, it was. Robin picked me up the way I was, with my arms wrapped around his neck. It was pitch black as we descended into a cavern of some sort. I heard water and heard his boots crunching over rock. When he finally set me down, I waited for my eyes to adjust to the darkness and then looked around.

We were in a large cave filled with glistening rock and high-tech equiptment. I saw computers, large tv screens, and other things that I couldn't even identify. As I looked around, I noticed the large slab of rock we were on slowly moving up. I gasped.

"What is this place?" I asked.

"The Batcave," Robin replied.

"The-Batcave? What is that?"

He was silent for a moment, maybe wondering if he could trust me. He must have come to the conclusion that he could, so he replied,

"It was Batman's secret hideout. We're underground right now. Batman left it to me when he died."

"Wow. So you knew him?"

"Yeah."

"Ok. So, I guess that we have to stay here for a while?"

"No, we can go to my appartment, but you can't leave."

"What do you mean, I can't leave? I don't have any clothes, or- or anything!"

"Sorry, but you'll have to stay there until I can catch up to the Shadow."

"Ok, you never explained who this Shadow is."

"What is there to explain?" He asked. "He's a villan. He wants to kill you. You don't need to know any more."

"Yes, but why does he want to kill me?" I was determined to get the full story.

"He thinks you're the key to his destruction, or you have the key. He believes that you can bring him down."

"Why? Why does he think that? I'm nothing. I never even heard of him before today!"

"He obviously has a reason to think that."

"But what is his reason?" I cried, frusturated.

"I told you, I don't know!"

"Ugh!" I slumed down. Why was this happening to me? I just wanted to go home.

"Look, I'm sorry, but I have to keep you safe. And who knows? Maybe you can help me defeat him. But we have to get to my place now."

He pulled me to my feet and we walked towards what I assumed was the exit.

"Robin?"

"Yeah?"

"Who are you? Who's under the mask?"

"I can't tell you that."

"Oh no?" Quickly, I grabbed his arm and flipped him over. He slammed onto the hard floor and quickly I dropped down beside him and pinned his arms down. I reached for the mask and pulled it off, revealing the man underneath. "Oh my God."