Chapter Three

Chapter Three

Blake's POV:

"Oh no?" Kate asked. Before I could say anything, she had me laying on the floor and my arms pinned down. Where did she learn to do that. She pulled my Robin mask off and gasped.

"Oh my God."

She jumped up and backed away from me and I got to my feet.

"Blake?" She asked in a whisper. I guess my secret has been revealed.

"Yeah," I admitted. "It's me."

"You're Robin?"

"Yeah."

"But- but-" She put her head in her hands. "This can't be right. How did you get to be Robin?"

"When the Batman was protecting Gotham from Bane, I was helping him, by getting the police officers out and evacuating children. I always knew who he was, and when he died, he left the Batcave and the Tumbler to me. I guess he thought that I could be something more. I quit the force, and I've been training ever since, to take his place."

"I can't believe this. How long have you known?"

"A year."

"A year," Kate repeated softly. "Does anybody know who you are?"

"No."

"I won't tell anybody," she said and looked me in the eyes. "I promise. Your secret's safe with me."

"Thanks."

"So, who was Batman? I understand if you can't tell me-"

"Bruce Wayne."

"Bruce Wayne? The billionaire Bruce Wayne? I thought that he went missing...." She trailed off. "Was that just a cover story? That he died somewhere in the middle of all the fighting?"

"Well, he technically died at the end. But yeah, he was Batman."

"Wow. Ok."

Kate looks overwhelmed, and I feel sorry for her. All in one night, she learned that an evil guy was after her, Bruce Wayne was Batman, and I was Robin. That's a lot to take in, so I reached forward and took her hand. She looked startled for a moment, then nodded, so I pulled her forward.

When we arrived at my appartment, Kate sat down on the counch and slumped back. She closed her eyes and leaned her head back.

I walked into my room and took off the rest of the Robin suit and changed into jeans and a t-shirt and sneakers. I walked past Kate into the kitchen.

"Do you want something to drink or eat, or something?"

"I'll have some tea, if you have any," she replied.

"Yeah, I think I do," I said as I searched through the cuboards, finally coming up with a bag. I put on some hot water and grabbed a cup, then went back over to Kate. Sitting down on the coffee table across from her, I accidentally sat on the remote and turned the tv on.

"Another found dead in an alleyway near McNurlin Street. The victim, who has blonde hair and hazel eyes, was stabbed repeatedly. The police have to leads on who comitted the crime, but the victim has been identified as Kathleen Ross."

"Oh my god," Kate gasped. "Kathleen Ross?"

"Did you know her?"

"No, but, her name is really close to mine: Kate Rose, Kathleen Ross. She even has the same eye and hair color as me. And I live just off of McNurlin."

"It's the Shadow. It has to be."

"You got me away just in time," she whispers. "I don't believe it."

"Yeah, well," I said and rose to get the screaming kettle. "I told you he was after you." I poured the tea into a cup and didn't hear Kate coming up behind me. She wrapped her thin arms around my frame and hugged me from behind. Turning around, I pulled her into a proper hug and she rested her head against my shoulder. When she pulled away, her face was clear.

"I want to help you."

"Help me?" I asked. "How?"

"Any way that I can. You said that I'm the key, or whatever-"

"The Shadow said that," I corrected.

"Yeah, whatever. Do you think he's wrong?"

"I'm not sure," I replied truthfully.

"Then why not let me help?" She contuined, sipping the tea. "I can fight. You saw me; I flipped you over."

"I would've fought back."

"Sure you would've."

"I could have taken you! I just wasn't expecting you to do that."

"Oh, really?" She smirks, and has me flipped over her shoulder again. "I think we know who won this fight."

"You sure?" I pulled her down on top of me, then rolled over so she was pinned down.

She kicked her leg up, so I fell backwards, head over heels. She held down my hands and swept her hair out of her face.

"I win!" Kate announced, looking proud of herself.

"I wouldn't be so sure of that," I replied and propelled myself so we were both sitting up, and held her arms as she struggled. I had her pinned down yet again and her hands trapped down. I bent down and whispered in her ear, "I don't think so."

"I could always kick you off. But I won't, because I'm so nice."

"Mhmmm," was all I said as I bent down and kissed her.