six

°°°·.°·..·°¯°·._.· A Bucket of Secrets ·._.·°¯°·.·° .·°°°

Mer ~ Fifteen

Deann~ Twelve

"Sisters forever," Mer said to me. She took out a blade from her canvas bag and cut the middle of my palm. It stung like crazy. "Let's be blood sisters, too."

"We already are," I noted. Mer laughed. She made me cut the palm of her hand and I did that, carefully. We stuck our bloody hands together and placed them against a foam board. Then, we cleaned our wounds and placed a cute bandage with hearts on them.

"We can't keep secrets from each other, Deann. You have to let me know every deep secret you're hiding from me. And the same goes for me."

"Okay, sister."

"Yes. I kissed a boy yesterday. His name was Wesley. Do you have a secret?" Mer kissed a boy? That was nice. I hadn't kissed a guy yet. I was too young.

"Not yet."

"Okay." She twisted her mouth and said, "We can't keep secrets from each other. If you kiss Wesley, let me know."

"I won't. He likes you."

"Good. You are honest, Deann. That's why you're the best sister EVER. That was a test." She hugged me, tightly. And that made me feel special. Mer released me and opened up an album with photos of us together.

As she flicked the pages, I smiled. "Look how close we are," Mer said. "No boys should tear us apart. Not even Wesley."

"Wesley is yours."

"Yes, he is."

~~~

Current day

Mer was arguing with Mom again. "You can't leave," mom said. "Who do you prefer him or family?" I was standing there, just listening to them argue.

"He loves me, mom. Screw you."

"Don't talk to me this way."

"I can talk to you however I want. You're below me, mom. You're old." Mom smacked her against her face.

"Call me old one more time, young lady." This was what my mom loved saying sometimes. Mer had been rude to Mom for a very long time. When Mer was sixteen, she had sneaked out of the house to have sex with a seventeen-year-old boy. Mom got so pissed when she found out. The argument escalated for several hours.

Mer did that again. She was seventeen. She went out late on a Saturday, avoiding curfew to hang out with a boyfriend. It was a nightmare when she came back. Mom whooped her so bad that she cried till she couldn't anymore.

I never experienced that. Mom never had to do this with me because I never got out of the way to meet guys. Guys got you in a lot of trouble. "Go and don't come back then. Bye, Meredith. Have a good time with the Russian."

"Fuck off, mom."

Dad came into the conversation. He seemed so thin nowadays. The work had been stressing him out. "Don't talk to your mom like this Mer." I couldn't take this argument anymore.

I decided to help Mer even though I didn't agree with the things she said about Mom. I screamed. "Stop it. Let her go. She is twenty-one years old and doesn't need you to pressure her anymore. I will help you finish packing up, Mer." I did that. We got most of her stuff inside a rented truck, Lev must have booked. There was Lev in the front seat of the truck, looking at me.