CHAPTER 2- THE MYSTERY

It was a stressful time for the pack. One of the most successful scouts, Autumn, had suddenly disappeared. No one knew what happened to him or where he was, but the matter here is that this finding concerned everyone. Some were worried for their loved ones, as they were scouts themselves, his friends were in direct grief of the loss, and some believed that this would delay the battle for the pack. Any way they looked at this, that was very concerning. It had a major effect on the pack's morale, which cannot be stressed enough.

Olive was feeling bored. Even after the announcement about the war, he heard that a scout had disappeared without a trace except blood found in the woods. This will probably happen to all the other scouts, he deliberated, and no one else will be able to initiate the war. He sighed. It was curious how there was always a catch to everything exciting, that everytime he has a chance for adventure, it has to be ruined. Everyone else was worried for others, but he was just depressed for himself. He sighed again. Things were not going well for him.

It was as tough a time for all the pack, but especially the leader, Willow. He had nothing to show for the investigation, and there was the Autumn crisis to further complicate things. He decided a trip to Forest's house, who was the previous alpha and his father. It seemed he was not the same, though. "Son, come in. I want to talk." He did seem upset, but as he had reassured everyone he was working on it, he thought he could reassure his father. "So, son, there was a bit less food in the area. So, just explore! Expand outwards! No. Instead, you engaged in war, and now a scout is missing, and everyone is scared, and the like." Forest did not seem his usual self. "Father, you don't understand... we have no idea what is out there and it could be another pack's territory and that would be a lot worse and..." "Son, all I wanted was for you to remember this: 'do what is best for the pack, not for you.' And you did not! This war will deplete resources and take many lives. Do you think that is best for the pack?" "Father, you don't understand... father?" "Son, there are lots of types of trees in the forest, but the strongest of them all is the willow. I named you Willow because I thought you would be the strongest of my sons and uphold this pack! But now I realize that I was wrong. I failed."   

Three days later, the pack was in major crisis. Even more scouts had been lost, and now there were four disappearances. River was concerned about the pack. We are going in a downwards spiral, she thought, and the end appears to be near. But then she heard a familiar panting. She couldn't believe her ears. "AUTUMN?!" "Gasp... I escaped. They held me in captivity... I barely got out with my life..." "Who kidnapped you?" "Another pack."